Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Discussion Thread: direct commits of balance changes without player input
I don't want to get to into it. I know someone once said before players aren't entitled to have devs making PRs on every change, and I get that on one hand and why it may not always be necessary, happen, or be seen by devs as a productive thing to do.

I think that perspective necessitates PRs as The Open Forum Where We Can Discuss the Merits of a ThingTM. Which can, in fact, be very counterproductive and not worthwhile to pursue. I get that; not every change should be open to that kind of solicitation of feedback.

What I would have liked to see on some recent changes weren't Debating the Merits of Things. I think a good example was the prismatic laser damage nerf (or whatever the strelka one was). I don't think it would've been worthwhile AT ALL in that scenario to get a bunch of people going "but, but, but don't nerf it"; but I think the formality of a PR or forum post or whatever can be useful, if not to say "this is something we are _looking_ at doing", then to say "this is something we _are_ doing". For the particulars of the lasers, I actually wanted them nerfed! But I also wanted to see harder caps on the pod too, with it to start locked and have the lasers be unremovable from that specific pod. And I think a forum thread or PR would have been the place to give those thoughts.

Even though those things can all be added going forward still, some people I think look at the commit log or the change of the Singular Instance and go "well, the problem is fixed now, see, someone else touched it so we can forget it"; and there may be ideas being lost in the process, not on the Merits of a Thing, but more akin to workshopping something to be a really full solution for what I think commits and PRs are attempting to address for the game's sake. For some of those things too, it's just a lot easier to see things connected all at once, versus having ten disparate commits that all are working on tweaking something following some bigger initial commit. It's easier to see when something changed, why it changed, what further changes that thing prompted in turn, and document it somewhere for players' referencing.

Not too upset about it or anything, I just thought I'd put my (potentially very different and idealistic) perspective on some of the benefits of being able to share these changes in advance out there.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discussion Thread: direct commits of balance changes without player input - by nefarious6th - 05-07-2021, 08:10 PM