Mentor Application - LT3 (Skyy Keiino)
Thanks Rio.

Surgery is a good example, it's a part of medbay that tends to be quite daunting to people. Most people it is the last part of the job where people kick the can down the road to learn because of our preconceived notions of how serious and difficult is in real life.

If you can slap a patch on someone, you can do surgery. I'll teach surgery early on (sometimes it takes a fair bit to convince them) because in that area it's usually not a lack of skill, but a lack of confidence. Where I'm going with this is that soft skills matter when you're teaching people. They're not perfect, I don't expect them to be perfect and make sure they know that. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, that's how we learn. I want to instil trust in them that I'll be standing at their side the entire time, ready to assist, take over, or whatever else they might need during it. I can't think of hands on surgery training that's gone so sideways we weren't able to recover from it.

As people have already mentioned, the majority of my time in game is spent playing MDir. Lots of back and forth communication is key to building that confidence, and getting people comfortable that even when I'm not standing in the room with you, I'm only a :m call on the radio away for whatever question you have, no matter how small or trivial. You should never have to freeze up if you forget something, or just don't know how to deal with it. The medical radio channel isn't used as much as it should be, in my opinion and I try to change that when I can.

Being able to answer mentorhelps through Discord while out of game would be a great benefit, I am frequently around even if I'm not actually logged in to a round on the server.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mentor Application - LT3 (Skyy Keiino) - by lessthanthree - 04-09-2021, 09:59 AM