Mentor Application - LT3 (Skyy Keiino)
Usual character name: Skyy Keiino
BYOND username: LT3
Discord username (if you are on our discord): lessthanthree#0003
Goon servers you play: Mainly 3/4 Morty/Sylvester
Previous bans: None
Reason for application:

I first started playing back in 2012 back when Mushroom station was around, some long breaks between but there's something about this spaceman game that keeps drawing me back to it.

I initally started as a technical assistant, mainly centered around engineering and navigating through the learning -curve- wall, pestering IRC with my questions until I was confident to not be tripping over my own feet. Engineer and QM was where I got a lot of my initial experience, later adding medical, HoP, and occasionally AI. (Lowpop rounds it was a good way to learn about all the departments, also not worrying about having to swap hands!)

Most recently you'll find me usually in the medical department, though I still do play engineering jobs as well, or sometimes I'm feeling Janitor or HoP.

I've always been curious, more than happy to learn from others and then enjoy passing on what I've learned to people who're less familiar. I know what I do today from the assistance of players and I think passing down knowledge is a critical component to keep new players sticking around. The game is very overwhelming when you're new (and old alike learning new jobs or mechanics) and the little extra help lowers the barrier to discovery. I've seen countless mindblowing things players have done that I can't even wrap my head around, but if they would have given up in early days banging their head against a wall (figuratively and literally) who knows if they would have stuck around and grown into what they are today.

I think I'm pretty friendly in game and don't mind spending half a round or more teaching someone the ropes, be it basic things like interactions or getting started in a job. Ask a few questions to see where they're at. Maybe you can get right into how to be a doctor, or maybe you need the basics as well so I'll teach the basics combined with job training to pair the mechanics with why you're doing it in a little set of tasks.

-Pick up a health analyzer
-Give it to me
-Accept when I give it back
-Scan me
-Swap hands and get a patch from the nanomed
-Set intent and target
-Apply it
-Scan me again and point out what's different, such as damage and reagents

I also answer questions when I can in #ss13-questions in the Discord, I personally find something neat that I didn't know about on most shifts which then leads to even more questions. My interest in learning the TEG for example started with the basic question "What do the yellow lights mean?" and then snowballed into wanting to know so much more. I didn't know there were blower settings, or lubricants, and so much of the joy/hilarity in SS13 is hidden that you stumble upon accidentally or glean the knowledge watching others.

With the exception of security and botany, I've played most rest of the roles enough to teach the basics of the job to someone new. If I don't know the answer myself, I'm never afraid to ask someone who does because it might as well be a learning moment for both of us. Helpful for both when I'm in the role, and for teaching others in the future.

Messages In This Thread
Mentor Application - LT3 (Skyy Keiino) - by lessthanthree - 04-08-2021, 04:37 PM