HoS App: Nefarious6th / Marcy Meyow
Usual character name: Marcel Meyow / JANUS / Star Owen / Aino Takalan if I make a mistake in character setup
BYOND username: nefarious6th
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Monacarrow#7630
Recommended by (if applicable): none 
Goon servers you play: all; mostly RP/RPO/Morty/Sylv for Security

Reason for application:
Security is my second-most played job, and I find it fun to interact with a variety of players. I float through timezones and servers, but there’s a need still for experienced players to take up the mantle of HoS to help improve round quality. I don’t think I’m a superstar of Security or remarkably memorable, but I try to be patient and consistent and frequent in my interactions. These things matter the most of anything I could bring to the table. Mostly I find I’m the first officer to join rounds, and I’ve done a lot of rounds solo, with new Security Officers, and with no HoS/NTSO support. I’d like the ability to work more holistically for the station, and have a better-equipped, more respected position to be able to teach others and have that feedback be taken to heart.

On RP, I try to be empathetic and give chances to develop interesting narratives. I’ve done some cool storytelling being more compassionate to antags and being treated more compassionately as an antag, holding funerals for officers and antags alike, and trying desperately to help my "sick" friends who had endless and eldritch hunger.

On Classic, I always try to communicate with my team and be a really good supporter: I believe from experience that the biggest, baddest weapon on Classic is teamwork.

For combat skill, I am so painfully unrobust that it sometimes horseshoes back around into miraculous robustness because I have walked into a cloning room with three people with guns and disarmed them all only because I didn’t realize they were trying to get rid of me! I can hold my own on Classic often enough and have had some cool rounds dueling a nukie commander as a bartender or beating on 5 revs at once.

Security experience (300 word minimum):
I dive into soloSec because sometimes the only thing holding others back from joining is seeing there’s not someone they can rely on, and I want to be that person. I know from experience too that a HoS in-round gets more officers to jump in. I’m unafraid of taking the plunge to get others involved and think with HoS permissions, it would let other players see on those rounds that there's someone capable who they can work with if they join.

In some of my Less Epic Rounds, I’ve had to curb teammates for demanding armory openings for non-hostile antags, or rushing into Botany after a weedbombing by an unknown suspect with the intent to start blasting all four botanists. I’ve had to clamp down on other Command members trying to kill antag Caps within the first 30 minutes of an RP round. In these situations, I also wished I conferred more authority to stop the treatment of other players like Necessary Evils To Be Destroyed.

I keep my perspectives fresh by working with a number of different players and mixing up which servers I’m on because I think there’s valuable attitude take-aways and stress-testing to get from Classic, and a lot of patience take-aways to get from RP. Sometimes I help Security in novel ways; I started my Security adventures as a Mime Deputy torpedoing a rogue AI on Nightshade and picked up an appreciation for how much work a brobocop cyborg can put in. My skills in these roles include dispensing burgers, stopping knife fights through the power of infallible cyborg shoving, and silently pursuing and running into dangerous criminals while on a segway.

I did rounds on RP1 during the tail-ends of tides and through some smaller spikes and have had time to work with other players and reflect on my own approaches. My first two HoSes were Sundance and Leenai, and I try to take their wisdom into every interaction; they both modelled to me having Classic + RP-stylings as HoS; the good faith extension of interest in storytelling, like guarding a special button for the Captain’s voluntary and murderous gameshow, but also the ability to discern when it's time to switch to no-nonsense mode.

On Classic, I found that I was naturally working well with my teammates because of high communication and expediency that I developed on RP. On one cool round I was a Sec Assistant with a new officer on Revs, and we were the only Sec, but I organized implanting in orders of priority and we ended up winning and doing so in relatively peaceful means despite bad odds, opting to bucklecuff some of the headrevs. A different moment was as a Vice Officer where I saved the HoS’s gear and disarmed three traitors, then cloned the HoS back just in time for round end, and even though I didn’t arrest anyone and wrap things up with a nice bow, it was one of my cooler showings. Security on Main has never gotten easier, but I love the camaraderie. I definitely wouldn’t be discouraged from stopping in from time-to-time as HoS or NTSO because there’s so many quality Sec players there and I truly believe my strength in those rounds is my team.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
  1. You can’t and won’t save everyone. On one of my first RP Sec rounds, round end, there were 6 or 7 changelings and someone got mad at me in OOC for letting them die. I had no idea what moment this was referring to, and felt bad about it, but after playing more of those 6-7-8 antag rounds on RP, I had to realize I can’t take that with me, not when I walked away feeling I put in my absolute all. So give everything your all and get comfortable with being told it’s never enough. And still give your all after, because it’s fun and worthwhile, for you!
  2. Talking is super powerful. On my first RP round, I got a call the mime was stabbing the clown. I pulled them away from each other and later found the mime in the bar, so I approached with a pen and paper to ask what was up. They wrote me back “f*ck you”, but I kept the conversation going and said that I wanted to be sure that no one was bullying them. I gave them a ticket for the trouble, but when I left the bar I got a PDA message saying they were sorry. And they didn’t cause any problems after. It was a tide, there’s general SS13 culture about what mime-clown relationships look like, and this person thought I was about to beat them down. All they needed was to be shown a little patience and persistence.
  3. A nugget of wisdom passed on to me from an old thread: "Your job isn't just catching crime either! You're here to help the crew. See a guy who looks like he may be seriously hurt? Bring them over to medbay. Clown tripped on their shoes? Help them up. An explosion just happened and people are currently dying in the breach? Pull them/throw them out to a safe place." It may not be the Big Prize in the scheme of a round, but picking up someone who needs a hand reminds me why I play.
  4. The last and most important one is to put your foot down, and know when that’s the best option. This is true dealing with self-antags and greytiders, who I try to give all my best once, and once only. This is true reigning in Sec players who clearly are only thinking about winning for themselves and getting into the armory! And this is especially true when I have nothing left to give in a round and need to decide it’s in my best interests to cryo out for 15 minutes, 40 minutes, or the rest of the round. Being attuned to how much more others are really going to give is important. Being attuned to how much more you are really going to give is more important.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
I can’t choose just one! (Sorry!)

Once I was solo on a round where the HoS and another officer had to cryo and I got deputized. The round got wild fast and some engineers tried to throw me and the only other latejoining detective (a newer player) into the singularity. The few minutes after that were full of anxiety while I sat with my teammate and asked if they were okay and we had a kind of nice and heartfelt RP conversation about that moment; this was a player I had interacted with and had to stop in a prior round, that had a rocky start in Sec, but by that moment I felt they had really gained a lot of confidence, understanding, and respect and handed my gifted HoS beret I had to them. Seeing that growth was rewarding.

A recent one on Horizon was where the HoS slipped on a banana peel, and decided to permabrig it, and I set up a security record for it. A monkey in a spacesuit came on station and I let them visit the peel. Then they wanted to see Stirstir, so I said okay, then went to look at cameras for something in the Computer Core. Someone reported gunshots, and I went to the Brig to find the window broken and Stirstir dead. The roboticist vowed to bring Stirstir back by any means necessary but needed my baton in the Debris Field, so I said okay. He lost it, but got SR to save Stirstir! I played the rest of the round, getting shot and helped up by the CE, making an arrest of two traitors at once, and did it all without my baton or remembering to get surgery. We learned at the end that the banana peel we brigged had actually been the monkey’s stealth storage! I continued the round without gear, but I walked away from it feeling super capable and with the reinforced recognition that what made everything work out that round wasn’t the tools or tasers. Confidence and communication through all things, good leadership and being dependable for (and depending on) the crew were what mattered.

My absolute favorite: I was solo on RPO on Horizon; I found the hall between Medbay and Security was blocked by a clown running a “secure checkpoint”. I let it go, since the clown had permission from the RD who was the only acting head, but over time the clown started asking for more and more asinine documentation, like spinal fluid samples. Then I saw there was yet ANOTHER clown on the station. And ANOTHER. In the true spirit of Clownin’ Around, one of the clowns decided to play a game with Security to test my response time to crisis alerts. Thankfully I won the game and saved the clown from loading herself into the crusher. Unfortunately, the clown thought it was a CGI crusher and dove in to demonstrate. The crusher was, in fact, Very Real. After my brief mourning for the crushed clown, I went back into the station to find the Secure Checkpoint Clown was trying to drown in the pool. He told me he was made of the fungus found from maintenance so he could never truly die. He then did appear to do just that, but months later I met the same clown on Cog1, running an equally as secure checkpoint.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
On teams, I take the time to go off-station and do S&R stuff because I’d like to think I’m not too shabby at tracking and because I’m a tough nut with a will to survive no matter the odds. I also take a lot of onus for finding my other officers and making sure they’re okay. I’ll work with Med to make new disks for them when their old ones are destroyed, I’ll traverse the trench to find lost new officers, and I’ll fly myself into space to recover teammates’ bodies. It's rewarding for me to help others and keep all the ducks in a row. I can definitely be the leader when it comes to comms, and even get a little adamant about people checking in or connecting with teammates without Sec comm access, since keeping everyone’s heads up is critical. I mentioned Sec is my second most-played job; Silicon is my first and has made me talkative and good at monitoring many things at once.

Solo, I connect with Heads of Staff and start up conversations with everyone I can find so they know I’m reachable. In collaboration with crew reports, I keep my eyes to PDA for crisis alerts and scanner checkpoint alerts since those are my eyes across the station. I use the arrest status to work with my best pal Beepsky, because Beepsky is unironically my second-best tool when I solo on long RP rounds, only after my words.

My only other addition is I probably play 80% of rounds deaf, though I find lots of opportunities to still take charge, engage antagonists, and problem-solve on the fly, just by what I can see around me and hear on general comms. I (very liberally) utilize the PDA to update my team because no access to comms =/= no responsibility. A bonus to all my solo and deaf time is that it's given me balance between teamwork and communication trying to stay in the loop and give my own updates, but also independence and decisiveness when I don't always have an immediate way to reach out to others. 

I make a point of having a presence over PDA and capitalizing on face-to-face interactions. I’ve done duo rounds with HoSes where we PDA’d each other or did all face-to-face meetings which have been great. I also don’t see anything wrong with an all-PDA team or asking for face-to-face meetings on RP, and I think that would be kind of fun considering how rare in-person meetings are and how useful PDA can be in situations like having compromised Sec comms. 

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
Draw a picture!
[Image: marcyportrait.png]

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): 
None

Thanks for your time.

Messages In This Thread
HoS App: Nefarious6th / Marcy Meyow - by nefarious6th - 06-11-2021, 11:44 AM
RE: HoS App: Nefarious6th / Marcy Meyow - by Cal - 06-11-2021, 04:59 PM
RE: HoS App: Nefarious6th / Marcy Meyow - by Caro - 08-18-2021, 01:52 PM