Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edge Case Complaint
Admin: virvatuli

Server: Goonstation 1

Date + time: 12:15 AM EST 1/29/2021

Synopsis:
I was banned by virvatuli for three and a half days for attacking a player and a sec officer. I do not contest or appeal my ban. I did strike a naked person a couple times in the medbay with a scalpel before stopping, and following that I also hit a sec officer with the same scalpel a few times before being batoned, cuffed, and spaced. I ahelped my treatment by the sec officer, since sec is not supposed to escalate, and then again when I watched them space another person who was fighting non lethally in the medbay. 

The following round, I was playing sec. I responded to someone claiming to be a rev head by attempting to arrest or search them, and during that time virvatuli was messaging me. The person who said they were a rev head told me they were joking when I found them, so I played a joke on them by dropping a pepperspray grenade in their workplace. After that, I was teleported to the time out zone. 

I am making this post for multiple reasons. First, I believe the only reason I am banned currently is because I sent ahelp requests myself, and had I not, no other players would have brought these incidents to the attention of the admins. Second, I wish to correct the record of my ban. In the ban reason, virvatuli writes "When a Security Officer tried to stop them, [they] attacked [the Security Officer]." This is not accurate. The sec officer made no effort to stop me before I attacked the sec officer, or at least they did not inform me of their intention to do so or ask me to stop what I was doing. I simply happened to attack them following my attack on the naked player. 

I am assuming my ban is due to rule one. I believe "brutal assault" is listed as an edge case on the Grief page on the wiki. I did not have a way to tell my targets current health, so by striking them more than just a couple times I apparently put one of them in crit. Since I haven't played on the server in a while, I was not used to the amount of damage my weapon was doing. I believe going forward, multi day bans should not be handed out for edge cases due to the inherent vagueness surrounding them.

I also believe players constantly bend and break rules like this with inconsistent repercussion, and the admin team should consider methods of resolving these inconsistencies. I suggest revising the server rules or stricter moderation and observation as methods of doing this.

Messages In This Thread
Edge Case Complaint - by bupkis - 01-28-2021, 09:56 PM
RE: Edge Case Complaint - by kyle2143 - 01-28-2021, 11:39 PM
RE: Edge Case Complaint - by virvatuli - 01-28-2021, 11:53 PM
RE: Edge Case Complaint - by bupkis - 01-29-2021, 02:34 PM
RE: Edge Case Complaint - by virvatuli - 01-29-2021, 07:09 PM