Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[PR] Gives the Head of Security an anti-mindslave health implant
Personally, I'm against such a specific change. One of ss13's core features is that you can't trust anyone. Anyone can be an antagonist, or under an antagonist's direct control. Removing that aspect for a single role, and only in a certain capacity, would worsen things. The HoS doesn't need to be more trustworthy, part of the reason a mindslaved HoS is so powerful is because nearly everyone trusts them. You can be acting in a clearly antagonistic and unHoS-like manner, and most of the crew will trust you over their own eyes when all you say is "traitor" or "changeling" while unloading lethals into the chef. If they're made partly immune to mindslaves, it'll make this even worse, because if anyone accuses the HoS of being a mindslave, its likely they'll be told "But the HoS can't be a mindslave!". The fact of the matter is people are stupid, and they shouldn't be given more ammunition to be stupid with. As long as the crew wises up, a mindslaved HoS isn't anywhere near as big of a threat as people see it as, and this won't change the core issue, which is that the crew doesn't wise up.

Besides, such a specific interaction doesn't make sense to me, considering some roles are able to wreak just as much havoc, if not more cough cough science cough cough. All other roles can be mindslaved, and some questionable jobs can even spawn as antags themselves. The only reason HoS is singled out is because HoSes stand out, so cognitive bias occurs. When a HoS is mindslaved and goes on a rampage, it sticks in your head more than if it was some random scientist, even if the damge is the same, or even less. With the scientist, its also possible that instead of being angry at how overpowered scientists are, the victim will direct their anger towards the person themselves. With HoS, this usually doesn't happen. I've seen people complain about how John McToxins keeps canbombing the station as a mindslave, or being extremely suspicious of Jim McChemist and mindslave checking him on a whim, so much so its kinda wild. But I've almost never seen complaints about a specific HoS rampaging while mindslaved. A mindslaved HoS is a mindslaved HoS, anyone else is just a mindslaved John Doe.

This would just confuse new players, feel out of place, and most importantly not fix the problem its trying to deal with. If such a mechanic were introduced, then we should look at more jobs than just the Head of Security, and reconsider some previous decisions regarding certain jobs and antagonist status. My name is Trustworthy, and thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PR] Gives the Head of Security an anti-mindslave health implant - by Trustworthy - 01-15-2021, 07:47 AM