Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RP Antag and Objective Changes/Ideas
Posting a collection of thoughts from a big group discussion very late at night on Jan 7th on the rp discord channel. Combing my own thoughts and other people’s feedback so sorry if I get a little confusing.

Many members said they wish there was further variety in RP antags. I think most of mains antags were listed but the biggest one was of course nukies. There consensus came down to people like the idea of there being a set day, in the vein of assjam, where those "loud" or action heavy antags would be enabled. That way people who enjoy and want that sort of experience in RP know when to join for it and don't have to hope to be online during an admin event, while those who prefer the current server setup arent having things changed on them. The opinions were varied, with some calling for weekly, some for monthly, some for a vote every round if it’s a possibly “action” round. My personal vote would be weekly or monthly.

There was also discussion on making those antags more RP friendly. There were suggestions that it wasn't specifically nukey that was being missed by mainly RP players, but team orientated and loud/action antags, and general variety. A version of Nukies with rp friendly goals such as convert the station to syndicate, kidnap the clown, take over the bar. Something that would facilitate discussions and RP and have a chance of combat rather than just leading straight to full on killing.

Another suggestion was a super quiet version of nukies, something like a heist mode where they sneak on to the station and try to work as a team to steal some specific item / hostage / what have you.

Several people thought gangs would work better on RP than it does on Main, never played gangs on either server myself so I have no opinion, but I don’t want to skip anyone’s thoughts.

As for personal thoughts when it comes to current objectives and antags:

Currently I find the objectives themselves extremely lacking. There seems to be little middle ground between cause mass destruction / ruin the round for a department (which I rarely seen enacted since I doesn’t work for RP) or do something super easy you can accomplish 20 minutes into the round. That’s not necessarily a big deal, it just means I do my own thing anytime I role an antag. I’m sure better objectives would help increase the overall quality though.

I love the idea of station wide objectives. Some of my best memories of the game have been when most of the station started focusing on one goal together. Often these goals are caused by antag actions (which is part of my push for the above higher action / louder antags), but the idea of a set goal just being the “mission” of that shift sounds fun to me! Maybe it would be a chance to roll, rather than a every shift thing though? I wouldn’t want to stifle the people who actually try to get station wide gimmicks going.

Of the antag options available right now on RP, I find conspirator and spy rounds to be by far the least exciting on either side of the antag/good guys. Spy rounds seem to follow the same route of almost nothing happening other than there always being the one spy offering to work with Sec, and conspirator rounds seem like they usually end up just fizzling out.

I don’t have many ideas for Spy, unfortunately for me its just a mode I don’t find fun. I’m not sure how you could make it more fun in RP. It seems to always lead to the same situations, and when a spy does manage to get a bunch of equipment I rarely see much interesting come out of it.

Conspirator feels like it could use more aggressive objectives. Maybe it could be somehow combined with the idea of the “quiet” nukie rounds from my above post? I’ve only rolled it twice and both times the objectives were not interesting, and the conspirators just disbanded without being able to form a plan of their own.

On a slightly off topic note, one of my biggest struggles when I first joined was understanding just what I was allowed to do as antag on the RP server. I saw the rules about no killing sprees on the wiki when I went searching, but I still felt like I couldn’t quite grasp what was expected of me. Was I allowed to setup some sort trap chamber to kill as a vampire? Am I allowed to bomb a department? What constitutes enough RP to make ling kills not just fail RP? Maybe the little blurb when you role an antag could give a better run down of what’s expected of an RP antag. Just a thought!

Messages In This Thread
RE: RP Antag Objective Changes/Ideas - by aft2001 - 11-30-2020, 06:24 PM
RE: RP Antag Objective Changes/Ideas - by Varali - 12-03-2020, 04:51 PM
RE: RP Antag and Objective Changes/Ideas - by data_err0r - 01-08-2021, 01:11 PM