Poll: Would having a server population limit positively impact?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
48.57%
17 48.57%
No
40.00%
14 40.00%
Other
11.43%
4 11.43%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Please, let's set a population limit for the servers
These are just my personal takes, I'm not speaking on behalf of all admins

If you want more good players, you need more players. Getting more players has always been a priority.

Of course quality is important. But in order to have a thriving server, you need both.

As far as being "the most under-developed code base", that's just plain not true. Most of the best slam dunk features that have been wildly ported to every single server (the most recent example: overhead text, but before that, goonchat, and before that, the process manager, etc.) have come from here. We're lean and mean, not underdeveloped. Sure, we don't have the breadth that other servers have, but we have depth, and now that we're open source we're getting people from other servers contributing back to us. Since we went open source back in april, we've had over 1500 merged pull requests. In 10 months.

Goon's star is rising, and honestly, we're at the best we've ever been. There was always going to be some growing pains, and the overall population on the servers will normalize eventually.

Overall, I think that efforts should be put forward to have more flexible job slots and equipment so that we can expand to meet the growing population rather than artificially kneecapping ourselves. We've already seen the start of that kind of stuff with engineers/mechanics now starting with their full toolkit, as well as sec equipment being managed with tokens instead of lockers. A good next direction might be have miners start with everything they need, since they have two bases of operation and other than their basic equipment don't have any real need for additional station space.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please, let's set a population limit for the servers - by UrsulaMejor - 11-07-2020, 04:39 PM