Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Reroll player traits upon cloning
I'm not sure if I truly buy the argument that by "making cloning worse and punishing the patient" it therefore invalidates Franks idea.

It's important to strike a balance when it comes to the cloner. Right now, i'm of the opinion that it's currently just too good. This has a knock-on effect - it cheapens death for one, makes things frustrating for antagonists for two and makes it an absolute prime target for three. The latter has another knock-on effect, in that it being a prime target will almost always depressurize medbay.

But let's look at the core issue here: The downsides to cloning (outside of your stuff getting potentially robbed by ne'er-do-wells) is nothing that the doctor can actually fix.

You have a reduction in your health pool (stamina also? Idk, it's not documented on the wiki) and if cloning goes awry it means you potentially have the following:
1. Your name gets a prefix
2. Vomiting blood and you're a general mess
3. You have a stubby arm (??? this appears to no longer happen?) which can't be reattached

This only occurs if the process is interrupted, which now due to the speed it is actually not that often. (sidenote: more methods of cloning going awry would be rad)
Then the good ol' MD gives you some mannitol and some antitox and off you go. But there's no further engagement after that, because again there's nothing the doc can actually fix.

I genuinely think we should take a different route here altogether. I think everything, from the prefix, to the health pool should be reversible, and we should slap on some extra reversible "punishments" too. This will hopefully make the process much more engaging. Such as:

1. Your prefix can be fixed. This could be done through something like this
2. Vomiting blood / reduction in health pool can be fixed through some cold Cryotherapy.
3. Instead of stubby arm, you can be missing a limb, but another can be attached.
4. You also have a seperate chance to be missing a single organ (including an eye, but not the heart).
5. Instead of simple tox damage, you may have a common poison inside you, such as histamine, neurotoxin. acetaldehyde, etc.
6. Instead of the suggested traits, you may have a random mutation or two.

What this all means is that the doctoring just doesn't simply end when the cloning is finished.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reroll player traits upon cloning - by sodly - 10-03-2020, 09:18 PM
RE: Reroll player traits upon cloning - by Mouse - 10-04-2020, 10:22 AM
RE: Reroll player traits upon cloning - by gleb09 - 10-04-2020, 03:31 PM
RE: Reroll player traits upon cloning - by gleb09 - 10-04-2020, 01:37 PM
RE: Reroll player traits upon cloning - by gleb09 - 10-04-2020, 04:14 PM
RE: Reroll player traits upon cloning - by Sundance - 10-04-2020, 04:21 PM
RE: Reroll player traits upon cloning - by gleb09 - 10-04-2020, 04:35 PM
RE: Reroll player traits upon cloning - by Mouse - 10-05-2020, 06:18 AM
RE: Reroll player traits upon cloning - by gleb09 - 10-05-2020, 04:45 PM
RE: Reroll player traits upon cloning - by Mouse - 10-06-2020, 07:56 AM
RE: Reroll player traits upon cloning - by gleb09 - 10-06-2020, 07:58 AM