Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make nukies helmet/mask acid smoke immune?
I hope we can stay on the "should nukie gear be acidproof?" discussion without derailing into "fuck chemistry" territory...going there doesn't lead to anything productive.

It's not even accurate to say we ban people for hellsmoking as non-antag or in general ban people for this or that. Factors like whether and to what degree the person committed the offense in the past, how they received/reacted to reprimands for said offenses, and such matter way more than the type of offense.

Anyways, yeah, acid splash removing headgear in general, doesn't feel very balanced in its current state. The main counterplay is "bring spare headgear", and that doesn't feel very fun, for reasons other have explained. It's worse for nukies too; they tend to be a little strapped for inventory space, so bringing extra helmets has a non-trivial cost.

Like brixx, I'm not sure if full-on immunity is the answer, though I could accept it as a temporary measure. Acid resistance sounds like a good compromise for both victims and perpetrators of acid.

Perhaps the simplest would be to have acid resistance reduce the effective dose of acid. So if a helmet has say 50% acid resist, and you get 10 units of acid splashed onto you, you  suffer the effects of a dose of only 5 units of acid. So if you want to melt people's headwear off to make them more vulnerable, you gotta readjust the acid you put in, which might eat in to the amount of other lethal chems you put in.

But if you wanted to make something real immersive (and are not afraid of doing a lot of work), maybe one could rework acid into creating a "Splashed with Acid" status effect that, if it last a certain amount of time, melts your headgear. Acid resistance makes it have to tick down for longer, certain chems and showers clear away the effect, and you can wipe it away yourself on a delay, but suffer acid burn on your hands if you're not being careful.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Make nukies helmet/mask acid smoke immune? - by Studenterhue - 09-28-2020, 12:26 AM