Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Economy Rework Part 1: Wages and Vending Machines
Wanted to get some feedback on this idea before I went through all the work of doing it.

problem: the prices of things are way out of whack

many powerful items are cheap. many useless items are really expensive. nobody really seems to care about money, as you start with enough for basically anything you'd want to buy, except the things you cant already afford which are basically "go sell multiple gold bars" expensive.

I want to start touching a lot of the things credits are used for, and I wanted to start with the two most interacted with elements with respect to credits: payroll and Vending Machines

Step 1: stratify payroll tiers

essentially, each crew member's pay amount will be set to be not far off from one of these tiers:

Clown - 1
Pubbie - 100
Tradesman - 300
Doctorate - 500
Head - 1000
Captain: 1500

this firmly roots every job far enough away from each other and provides targets for costing things. A tradesman can basically freely buy anything targeted toward pubbies (cigarillos), but they won't be so free  to buy an item targeted toward a doctorate (cigars). head level items (gold leaf cigars) would be painful for them to buy, and they might not be able to afford one with just one pay check

Step 2: reprice a ton of shit (starting with vending machines)

for example, if you want pubbies to be able to buy 5 burritos a paycheck, I'd price burritos at PUBBIE_PAY/5. If a gold leaf cigar box is intended to be a head's whole paycheck, I'd price it at HEAD_PAY

Step 3: play with the numbers until things feel right

I want money, even pocket money to feel impactful. I want players to feel the difference between the job classes, and I want to be able to, across the board, lower some of the crazy high credit numbers we have to put things at in order to balance them. once this feels good, I'll move on to the next part of the economy rework depending on what things present the best opportunities

fat fingered and accidentally closed this on mobile, whoops

I know that the economy has a lot of work to it. Please try to focus feedback on the ideas and problems presented. This is going to have to be like putting on a bedspread: one corner at a time. Trying to do it all at once will just lead to frustration for everyone.

Messages In This Thread
Economy Rework Part 1: Wages and Vending Machines - by UrsulaMejor - 09-06-2020, 08:58 PM