Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security Cameras Recording Stuff
okay dumb brainfart here but I thought it could be a cool addition to the investigator's arsenal. encourages a bit more planning on the part of baddies, or at least the ability to think on one's feet and quickly cover their tracks when shit goes wrong. sorta bridge the gap between "changeling spits and abducts a guy in the middle of the hallway and no one cares" and "AI reports everything it notices no matter how irrelevant".

what if working security cameras recorded what they saw, and there was a database or computer that the detective/security could use to check these records? thus if you discover a pile of dead bodies stuffed in a room, or a mile long streak of blood in a maintenance corridor, or a door hacked open, instead of saying "welp they used gloves there is not a single clue to go on here" you could try checking the records to see who what happened there. if they cut the camera before using the area for any nefarious purposes then you're shit out of luck but that kind of forward thinking is cool right? also even if they get caught on camera maybe they could break into the security officer or database room and steal/delete/blow up the records. I like playing hitman blood money

here's the practical aspect: obviously byond isn't going to make actual video records. currently the game does log most everything that goes on, especially speech and combat, timestamps and (I think) coordinates. I was thinking it could be upped to include tags for every IC functional camera that should have seen the speech/combat/stuffing into a disposal chute. (how to do this without incurring horrible amounts of lag is a riddle I leave to smart people)

detective/whoever accesses the security records, specifies a camera "Aft Maintenance 3" or "Camera #32" and a starting time point into the round "0 minutes" "15m" and they get a log of everything the camera saw. in a busy place like the bar or medbay there'd probably so much shit going on that it'd be impossible to sort out what the hell happened but if you see "hmm the victim and 1 other person were the only people to enter the catering podbay before victim wound up toolboxed to death" you have a lead

my hope is this system would encourage more devious treason, or traitors doing funny shit to hide evidence of their crimes, and give the detective something to do other than drink & shoot people to death

feedback & scorn welcome :belarus:

Messages In This Thread