Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What makes a good AI?
So, as a self-described AI main, I naturally want to improve my gameplay. To do this I've been pondering about what qualities of an AI make them good and fun to play with. It's hard to imagine what makes a good AI without multiple outside perspectives, hence this thread - to both provide me and every other AI player insight into perhaps how to make their gameplay more interesting and fun for others.

My own thoughts include the following:

Mechanical skill and knowledge. How familiar is the player with the tools and mechanics at their disposal as an AI? Can they operate most, if not all, consoles on the station? Do they have enough of an understanding about medicine to dispense the right medicine from the nanomed? What is their level of knowledge about most game mechanics? After all, the AI is a player that, in-character, can answer many questions. While this isn't necessary for someone to be an enjoyable AI, it certainly helps.

Personality and gimmicks. How does this AI interact with the crew? Does it have a recognizable way of talking to people? Is it fun to talk and converse with? Is it helpful, or funny, or otherwise good to have speaking over the radio?

Behavior. Does the AI try to supercop, ignore antags, or somewhere in between? Does it go out of it's way to help people, sometimes by force, or does it only help when asked? Does it deploy to a shell and do it's own thing as a slightly more immortal borg, or does it prefer to hover around the station and remotely interact?

To me, these are the primary factors that determine how 'good' an AI player is - for example, a supercop AI isn't necessarily a *bad* one, if it isn't annoying or validhunting or rulebreaking.

I might be completely wrong though, and I absolutely want to hear what you guys think! What do you want to see from an AI, both as an antagonist and as a normal player?

Messages In This Thread
What makes a good AI? - by aft2001 - 05-25-2020, 07:46 AM
RE: What makes a good AI? - by getbrecked - 05-25-2020, 07:57 AM
RE: What makes a good AI? - by SimianC - 05-25-2020, 10:26 AM
RE: What makes a good AI? - by Frank_Stein - 05-25-2020, 07:20 PM