Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A few changes to detective
"Remove their access to thermals. Personally, I think this is a bad idea as the detective's job is to find and foil the plans of stealthy antagonists, and cloakers are exactly that,"
This sounds like an oxymoron unless I'm mis-understanding the sentence, unless you mean their job being finding stealthy antagonists means that it should be harder for them.
Also you further down also mention that they shouldn't be hunting down antags, which also confuses me.

And the following are purely personal opinions and predictions of mine:
Detective by itself is not a very unique job at the moment, a cooler looking security officer with slightly different tools (a revolver with stun bullets instead of a taser), though with having slightly more forensics-related equipment than most. Even though not very interesting, that's how I've always seen the role and never had an issue with it.
This thread aims at making that slightly different, with the point of that currently they're just being used for hunting down antags, but I don't feel it accomplishes that, even makes it much worse.
It's not uncommon for there to be no or a very lacking security team on station, at which point the detective often fills the gap. This also means that they don't always have an audience to share their forensic findings with.
Making it so that they are not part of the security further excarbates that problem: who would they relay their findings to? Security that already also has forensic tools and would now have to put trust in a person they're not even related to department-wise, doesn't seem very likely and doesn't happen often already. Crewmembers hiring them? I also find that very doubtful to occur. And now, as not part of the security team, you have an armed person with tools to identify criminals/antagonists and who's also entirely on his own: if you already thought detective was focused on just hunting antagonists, that seems to take it to even a higher degree with it being their only purpose as a loose cannon, reinforced by the also suggested nerfs to their non-lethal capabilities.

Just my personal opinion in that I don't see this working out in practice the way you'd expect.

Messages In This Thread
A few changes to detective - by Trustworthy - 02-05-2020, 09:41 AM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Gerhazo - 02-05-2020, 10:09 AM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Trustworthy - 02-05-2020, 10:43 AM
RE: A few changes to detective - by polivilas - 02-05-2020, 10:46 AM
RE: A few changes to detective - by KikiMofo - 02-05-2020, 11:09 AM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Frank_Stein - 02-05-2020, 04:51 PM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Vengarr - 02-05-2020, 06:30 PM
RE: A few changes to detective - by KikiMofo - 02-05-2020, 06:41 PM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Frank_Stein - 02-05-2020, 07:37 PM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Leeanei - 02-05-2020, 07:56 PM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Drago156 - 02-06-2020, 01:40 AM