Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A few changes to detective
Following numerous conversations over Discord about how the role is currently being used as sec with lethals, and how people are going detective just because its really powerful if you get antag, I've decided to take some of those suggestions I heard and post them on the forums. The main purpose of these suggestions is to make the detective more Cole Phelps, and less armed beat cop.

Ideas:
  • Remove the detective's security access, and promote the idea that they're not part of security.
  • Either get rid of their stunning rounds completely, or heavily restrict their access to them. Personally, I think the best way to do this would be to remove the SecTech in their office, so they have to manage with the rounds they start with. This would make detectives actually have to think before shooting, since if they waste all their stunners on a slightly suspicious staff assistant, its a pain in the ass to get more.
  • Alternatively, or along with the previous suggestion, nerf the stun rounds. A good idea would be to make them a better version of the bullets the NTSO's Clock uses, where they apply disorientation, a bit of stamina, but can't actually be used for stunlocking people.
  • Make the detective more focussed on forensic work, whether by letting them get forensic evidence by examining the object up close instead of using a scanner(still have to check prints and stuff in a computer), or by giving them glasses that highlight forensic evidence like luminol does, but for gunshots in walls and more, too.
  • Remove their access to thermals. Personally, I think this is a bad idea as the detective's job is to find and foil the plans of stealthy antagonists, and cloakers are exactly that, not to mention they have one of the only two pairs on the entire station, the other belonging to the HoS.
  • Finally, treat a detective who hunts down antags like a security officer is meant to as you would a vigilante, or a sechop. Its not their job. Their job is to investigate and interrogate, and the only time they should be performing an arrest is when they see someone committing a crime literally in front of them, or other special circumstances.
I don't want the detective to become a useless or gimmick job, far from it. But I do feel like these changes could both open up more chances for rp, improve the quality of the round, and make the detective have its own, distinct role on the station. Feel free to suggest more things in the comments and I'll add them to the list. I probably missed some of the stuff we discussed on Discord.

Messages In This Thread
A few changes to detective - by Trustworthy - 02-05-2020, 09:41 AM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Gerhazo - 02-05-2020, 10:09 AM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Trustworthy - 02-05-2020, 10:43 AM
RE: A few changes to detective - by polivilas - 02-05-2020, 10:46 AM
RE: A few changes to detective - by KikiMofo - 02-05-2020, 11:09 AM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Frank_Stein - 02-05-2020, 04:51 PM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Vengarr - 02-05-2020, 06:30 PM
RE: A few changes to detective - by KikiMofo - 02-05-2020, 06:41 PM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Frank_Stein - 02-05-2020, 07:37 PM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Leeanei - 02-05-2020, 07:56 PM
RE: A few changes to detective - by Drago156 - 02-06-2020, 01:40 AM