Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
ASS DAY feedback, evolution, ideas. [Gimme Your Thinks]
(11-19-2019, 09:57 AM)Adhara In Space Wrote: i dont think anyones suggesting removing ass day seriously. it sounds like some people are getting defensive on its behalf because it seems like that, and then people are replying to them and its getting messy. i think whats being suggested is to like... expand ass day so its not just the same honk honk griff robust masters every round for 24 hours, but has more unique stuff going on (like crappy maps, silly patches, admin events, dungeons, etc.)

i do think that the "just leave if u dont like being robusted lol" or the "just learn to click on people" attitude is kinda ass though. that might just be me though, since i dont really like some things other people seem to be fond of (like noob traps in the gameplay, which is part of the reason i wanted to be a mentor !!). the reason i dont agree with or like that attitude is that, like, it kinda goes against the goonstation that i know? like, ever since ive been a part of goon its been a welcoming and relatively hospitable environment that hasn't been rude or awful to me for not knowing things, or not being mechanically good or "robust". this whole "if you dont like getting ganked by the ass day ultra-robusters then dont play" is very dismissive and fails to address the actual issues that cause it by making a sort of fake issue, almost, by making it seem unreasonable to want change if youre dissatisfied with something.

its also a sort of, well, idk. i dont want to say toxic because it isnt like, wholly toxic, but it is something you sort in other communities, like in the soulsborne games. those communities are famous for being very hostile to new players, or players who are struggling because its a rite of passage in the context of those games' cultures. so instead of offering genuine advice or helping new players, theyre left to fend for themselves and throw their heads against a wall over and over again until they pass the obstacle. and you can debate whether or not thats good for the community or the developer's vision of the games some other time, i just wanted to give an example of someplace where the "git gud" mentality is common. i dont think that mentality is healthy/befits the game or this community, even if it is only commonplace once a month.

tl;dr "git gud" attitude bad adhara good suppoort my patches today

i think you're right, i also think that ass day is less about getting good and more so letting the new players take the gloves off for the first time. new players enjoy chaos and mass violence. Some measures to protect them would be chill- I'm in favor of banning ghost drones.

We could always like, lead from the front and make a concerted effort to beat the shit out of people who want to mass grief and let it known that if you're going to try to do that, the community will make it super super difficult. I think I sound super tone deaf here though.

I don't really see ass day as a "who's best at clicking" type deal. I think it's a necessary measure to curb grief and overall dickery in the community by letting people take their frustrations out in game. I might be bugging here though.

Ass day could definitely deal with a ramped increase of random server generated PVE scenarios, like randomly spawning a Gilgamesh-esque final boss every other round in the chapel 8 minutes in, or asteroid showers, or something of that effect to give the rounds some sense of narrative- importantly, this reduces griefing efforts because they /have/ to help out or else lose their life in the process.

importantly- the conversation of "is ass day long term good for new player retention" should be had, because I'm confident that we don't lose long term players from it. We definitely gain a decent amount from the one day all gloves are off and people wanna check out a new server and figure fuck it, Goonstation for the night.

The people who leave en masse will always come back. The people who join exclusively because it's ass day (iirc it's also publicized on the subreddit) will stay ~20% of the time? Maybe?

Ass day always results in long term net gains, fmpov.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ASS DAY feedback, evolution, ideas. [Gimme Your Thinks] - by OMJ - 11-19-2019, 10:17 AM