Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Autodoc
Most of this is from Discord, but I thought it would be a good idea to make a forum thread.
Discord discussion archived: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/2...estion.png
Name and function was inspired by Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.

Autodoc: a surgical device that would work autonomously on patients.
-It would work by placing the patient into a sleeping pod-like structure, which would have a console next to it, and a locking mechanism built in.
-Before placing the patient, you could queue up tasks on the console, including injecting a chemical from the machine's internal synthetizer or from beaker, surgical procedures, and automatic tasks, like injecting epinephrine if the patient has 0% or less health. The default state of the machine is to automatically do helpful operations, like healing the patient, replacing limbs, and removing bullets.
-It would supply itself with robotic limbs, given the raw materials to do so, the default setting would be using light robotic arms and light robotic legs, but threads when both legs are missing. You could also add other limbs, and the machine would prioritize human limbs over robotic limbs. You could also supply the machine with special eyes, cyber hearts, cyber butts, and so on.
-It could be emagged, with 50% chace of making a random operation, 20% chance of overdosing the patient on otherwise helpful drugs, 20% change of botching surgery, resulting in injuries, and 10% chance of forcefully throwing the patient out of the machine, in a way similarly to how players slip on space lube.
-It would allow brains to be exchanged between people without killing them both, admins can do this, so the implementation is just copypasting code.

Limitations, mainly to balance:
-It would require power to funtion, cessation of power during surgeries would render them botched, heavily injuring the patient.
-It would be stationary, and impossible to be constructed.
-It wouldn't work on monkeys, or deceased humans unless supplied with SR.
-It would work slowly, each operation having a progress bar, instead of the instantaneous manual surgery.
-Reagents inside would take their effect more slowly.
-It would have only 2 patient slots.
-It would always use N2O for major surgeries (removal of bullets would be considered minor), making the patients wait at least 30 seconds after surgery.
-Only people with medbay access could use the console (like how the port-a-medbay works).
-It would randomly scream duck sounds made by an adult male.

Why I think this should be added:
-It could replace the rarely used cryo tubes.
-It would tremendously help new doctors, while not replacing the old surgery system, so veterans could continue to do what they are doing.
-It would remove the need of the current method of self surgery, which involves abusing lag and the pick up menu.
-It wouldn't require much spriting, just the recoloring of a cryo tube/sleeping pod, and even if we used new sprites, it's just a console and a body storage unit, which are just 2 pictures.
-The interface could be a block based programming system, which doesnt require much coding, and could be easily used. Or the interface could be a targeting system, where you would target each body part, and tell the machine what it should do with that part.
-I would appreciate seeing my idea in the game.

Thanks for reading my stupid idea!

Messages In This Thread
Autodoc - by Thexus - 08-12-2019, 02:13 PM
RE: Autodoc - by Zamujasa - 08-12-2019, 02:24 PM
RE: Autodoc - by Thexus - 08-12-2019, 02:32 PM
RE: Autodoc - by UrsulaMejor - 08-12-2019, 02:32 PM
RE: Autodoc - by UrsulaMejor - 08-12-2019, 06:05 PM
RE: Autodoc - by Sundance - 08-13-2019, 03:25 AM
RE: Autodoc - by Superlagg - 08-13-2019, 10:19 AM