Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
[Feature] Floor navigation guides
One thing that tgstation does exceptionally well is make it easy for newcomers to navigate the map simply by reading the directional signs on the map. They place them fairly liberally at hallway intersections and they generally guide you to the important hubs.

One thing we discussed on discord is that they have to align to the wall they are on, which means text-based signs would be a bad idea since nobody wants to crane their neck to read them and sometimes you just don't have enough south-facing walls to comfortably stick them on.

Icons were another discussion, but they also kind of suffer from being less readable when rotated.

So my attempt at simple readable signs were just colored floor strips that don't need to be placed on walls. I think they work very well without having to have any sort of icon or text that could potentially be muddled or hard to read.

[Image: u3SCm5h.png]

Currently the floor guide object inherits from the tile edge objects. They merge with the floor and can't be right click inspected, which i'm not sure i like... On the one hand i like that they are destroyed when the underlying floor is destroyed, but players SHOULD be able to right click inspect them in case they aren't certain what the color is supposed to represent. 

Which is another point of discussion, what colors should represent what depts?

Some are obvious.

Blue -> Command
Red -> Sec
Green -> Botany
Yellow -> Engineering
Purple -> Sciences

Some are less obvious.

Blueish white -> Medbay
Orange -> Mining
Turquoise -> Evac
???? -> Quartermaster

I don't have a color for quartermaster. One could argue that QM deserves orange more than mining since mining isn't exactly a very sought-after department in terms of traffic. I think both departments deserve something. Maybe mining should be a dark brown and QM should be orange.

What does everyone think so far?

UPDATE:

[Image: sMxrajK.png]

Here's the pull request: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...6/pull/132

Messages In This Thread
[Feature] Floor navigation guides - by twoski - 04-26-2019, 02:29 PM
RE: [Feature] Floor navigation guides - by twoski - 04-27-2019, 11:46 AM
RE: [Feature] Floor navigation guides - by twoski - 04-27-2019, 03:50 PM
RE: [Feature] Floor navigation guides - by twoski - 04-27-2019, 08:37 PM
RE: [Feature] Floor navigation guides - by twoski - 05-06-2019, 09:28 AM
RE: [Feature] Floor navigation guides - by twoski - 05-11-2019, 07:53 AM