Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Come roast on this tentative design
(04-16-2019, 06:08 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: I'm seeing improvement here, neat!
Some stylistic suggestions, if i may:

- use department-color coded edges for the hallways, or at least some sort of system to identify different wings. This is the main issue with having long, twisting and branching hallways - if i place you in a random corner of a random hall, can you immediately tell me where you are, without moving? If the answer is ever less than "yes", more theme coding is a good idea. (it also gives us more of an idea of where youre planning to put certain departments in later- a big yellow hallway is a clear indicator that this is gonna be engineerey or mechanical in some sense)

- reduce the amount of grey inside the departments, rooms and lobbies, to again help distinguish from the halls (lookin' at you, botany)

- theres a set of decals called Tile Edge that are incredibly useful for blending and edging rooms, check them out

- show us some screenshots from inside the game, it's a good idea for you to see what the product is. Trust me when I say things do not look the same as they do in DM.

First point - that is a great idea. I already have an idea of what i wanna try.

Second point - absolutely. Most of my departments are just colored edges for the time being. I've been bitten in the ass too many times when i've started on some detailing then realized some aspect of the room needed work, so for now most things are just drab gray. 

Honestly i was just afraid to start compiling the map cuz i don't know what the hell i'm doing but i think you're right that looking at it ingame would help with quickly figuring out what works and what doesn't. So i'll put new room work on hold and try to cordon what i have into a test-able environment.

In order to test it i assume i'll need to place lights first though.

Messages In This Thread
Come roast on this tentative design - by twoski - 04-10-2019, 12:42 PM
RE: Come roast on this tentative design - by twoski - 04-16-2019, 06:56 AM