Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Come roast on this tentative design
Lightbulb 
I've been goofing around with QDMM and i figured i should first do some planning before i make anything.

I have a list of principles that in my mind make a map good.

- No room will be larger than the player screen size. If a department has more space than that, then it needs to be properly partitioned.
- Arteries are the backbone of the map, not the departments. Everything should be modeled around the placed arteries. 
- Medbay, security and AI/command are the most important departments and should be given preferential access to the main arteries and positioned accordingly.
- Major arteries (hallways) should be 4 tiles wide.
- Minor arteries should be 3 tiles wide.
- All major departments should be surrounded (or at least have most walls covered) by outer maintenance tunnels or arteries.
- Maintenance tunnels should be 2 tiles wide when connecting to 1 tile wide parts, so people can't get stuck as easily.
- Arteries should not be interrupted by departments or go straight through them. Departments should branch off from the arteries.
- Players should not be able to sprint for long periods. There should be plenty of points in arteries where players have to open doors to continue, or change direction. This ties into the first principle.
- Science lab and engine should be kept on the fringes of the station since they're the most likely to cause catastrophic damage, statistically speaking. I remember an old goonstation map where R&D wasn't even on the same Z-level and had a built in nuke so the RD could blow it up if needed.
- Navigability is nice. Making the main arteries snake around in weird contortions creates an environment that is more difficult to learn and navigate effectively.
- The bar/cafe is what i would consider the social hub of the ship and thus should be immediately visible once you enter the station from arrivals. It should also be on a main artery.

[removed old image]

Legend
- Royal blue is major arteries.
- Darker blue is minor arteries.
- Light purple is maintenance tunnels.
- Unlabeled are general purpose rooms or some other room type i didn't specify such as chapel. 

Other notes
- Security Aux is what i imagine would be a big holding pen for permabrigged prisoners. I like the idea of jailbreaks still being doable since there's maintenance access along the sides of the jail.
- I like the idea of having a room specifically meant for holding lab animals and animals used in cooking. It's close to the kitchen, genetics and R&D which is ideal.
- I think a decently sized crew quarters room should be near the main artery at the front of the station and should probably be where head of staff has their headquarters.

It's not perfectly to scale, but the layout is generally what i want to go for. Can anyone think of ways i can improve this? In terms of scale i imagine it would be roughly the size of cogmap (like 120x120).

Messages In This Thread
Come roast on this tentative design - by twoski - 04-10-2019, 12:42 PM