Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Major "Real Time" Processing Causes Issues
(04-04-2019, 05:59 PM)Fox McCloud Wrote: Yeah, I realize that's what you're aiming for, as I surmised in my post, I'm just not sure the reasoning for doing it like ya did, I suppose.

Obviously sleeping until the tick is no longer overrun will have some implications of things being a bit delayed (though are reagents so important that if you miss even 2-3 life loops, that it's going to ruin things? Ehhh, not so sure).

At the same time, dynamically running each mob's `Life` by either sorting the list or allowing for a sort of "run at this time" instead of flat every 2 seconds could easily accomplish the the same thing without having to adjust damage numbers.

Just curious on your approach, really.

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of destroying all transparency for how much damage things deal in favor of something running in "real time".

There was no transparency before. Life() tick order or frequency was completely indeterminate before, and that hasn't changed here. Life() ticks were and are not sorted, and never will be. The change here moved damage from a per-tick basis to a per-second basis. Instead of dealing 5 damage per tick, it will now deal 20 damage per second, except ticking once every 2-4 seconds based on server load.

Before, you could take a ton of damage in a short duration if there were catchup ticks, but now it being per second it's easier to determine the end result over a period of time than it was before so if anything it's MORE transparent.

If you miss 2-3 life ticks, reagents will proc at a 2-3x multiplier to play catchup. Numbers obviously need to be tuned, and those numbers themselves should be reported when they come up, but this report in it's current state is currently Not a Bug. Yes, there will be rounding errors, but it should be more accurate now and as a result of this change, the wiki should be changed from per-tick to per-second.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Real Time" Processing Causes Issues - by mbc - 04-04-2019, 02:03 PM
RE: "Real Time" Processing Causes Issues - by somepotato - 04-04-2019, 07:29 PM