Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Job Title Modifiers for newbies/experienced players
(03-26-2019, 09:26 AM)Firebarrage Wrote: I don't see any need for titles. If someone is new we have always allowed them to speak up on the department radios to introduce themselves and let everyone know they are new to the job. We also encourage long time players to take some time to help these players get used to new jobs.

And of course we already have mentors instead of tutors. Hit mentorhelp, get connected with someone who knows things. Its a good system.

Mentorhelp is cool and good for asking questions, but I feel like enabling this to happen in-game would make the game environment more fun and interesting. Personal anecdotes and all, but being in-game with a person lets you directly observe and guide them, while mentorhelps typically won't get involved in anything you're doing (partially as a requirement of their role to not use that information). Being able to see what someone is doing and tell them what to do next or what went wrong is a lot more active than waiting for a follow-up question of "why did the brain not fall out when I used the saw".

Mentorhelps also require that someone is a mentor, which involves an application process and other stuff that casual-but-helpful people cough may not take the time to do.

(03-26-2019, 09:18 AM)OMJ Wrote: I love this idea but it might be construed as scarlet lettery to some folks. Maybe let this classification only be viewed to mentors/admins?

Could be done like the old identification of traitors with a big N top right of their spaceman.

There are a few other games that come to mind that automatically give new players a "?" or "?" icon beside their name for the first few hours of playtime. Again, I'd only want the newbie one to automatically apply for the first few rounds someone plays, but otherwise only show up if someone intentionally sets it.

(Also, just to clarify, these titles are intended for a player's jobs, not a player themselves; e.g. while someone could be experienced in Science nerdery, they may have absolutely no clue how to be a Miner.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Job Title Modifiers for newbies/experienced players - by Zamujasa - 03-26-2019, 10:47 AM