Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Weaken radiation, or change it somehow probably
This is me just spitballing really. I was thinking about some realism junk earlier about how radiation in any real amount is basically assured death within a minute or two in the game, but in real life that will basically never happen. Radiation kills you very slowly, and has more to do with destroying your immune system or causing cancer than anything else (I think).

I don't mean for this to be a "add more realism" post. It's just that I think radiation is rather tedious and shunted off to the side for only a certain number of things that are "instant kills". 

For one thing, If you're caught in a radstorm for more than 2 seconds, you're dead. Period. Unless you already had some Pentetic Acid in your hand, some omnizine and some Potassium Iodide, or an injector belt with SR. Same with most poisons. If you drink so radium and unstable mutagen it gives your rad damage too and a lot, but it fades quickly after you take some calomel and remove those reagents. The one thing that I think uses rad effectively is the rad crossbow.

I'm not super tied down to any of these, but I think these might make radiation a bit more interesting:

- Lower radiation damage flat out. Have the RAD amount to damage scale logarithmically and a very high cap for RAD amount.

- Make the radiation amount a person has in them last much longer. With the damage lower. That way being irradiated with a moderate timer turns from "I need to sprint to medbay RIGHT NOW!" to something along the lines of having food poisoning or a low tier harmful path symptom where you have time to get it checked out.

- Remove the Irradiated indicator from the standard HUD. Leave it for people with sec or health implants. Maybe only display it for regular people if they have a very high amount of RADs.

- Maybe add a couple different ways of dealing with radiation. Currently, there are really only 2. Pentanic Acid and Potassium Iodide, and you can't even use them at the same time really because Pentanic just flushes out all other chems super fast... Maybe a machine or procedure that can lower RAD damage.

It's just that I think RAD damage is so boring right now. It's either an instant kill, or a mild inconvenience and no middle ground for fun.

Messages In This Thread
Weaken radiation, or change it somehow probably - by kyle2143 - 02-20-2019, 11:21 PM