Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NSS HORIZON: The NT fleet's longest and most lengthy cruiser.
Wanna start by thanking you for your feedback, and giving my thoughts before cracking open a new version, to try and get a sharper image of where I'm going here! 
  • I'm not a fan of the ugly brown/grey carpeting in places, but I understand sometimes it's used intentionally.
    I'm somewhat aware that i've used it excessively, it's a little bit of a stylistic crutch that i'm trying to replace as I continue adding "character" to those rooms. It's a simple way to make a space feel dirtier, but ideally I'd want to maybe make a couple new types of tile to better get that feel without overusing the grimy carpet.
  • It looks like it's not possible to traverse some areas of the ship without going into the main hall or having access. This might prove an issue if there are bombings or there's a blob or something. However, I do see lots of external airlocks and windows and emergency suit sets. Maybe add a few more of those suits I guess? 
    I guess i'd need to ask exactly which chokes you're worried about, because while I tried to provide more go-arounds in high-risk areas, I also didn't want to leave the ship completely unbombable.
    The most obvious one I could see is where the hull maint tunnels end, near the forward nacelles, but there are hidden doors leading to the sports bar and mechanics, which gives a tad more wiggle room. The crematorium is another awkward blockage, perhaps a catwalk outside the ship would help.

Sizing/placement issues I have:
  • The crematorium by the chapel is pretty big in comparison to the chapel itself. Maybe move the coffins into maint or a recess somewhere and expand the chapel a bit, making room for a confession booth?
    I like the idea, I'll see about moving the coffins, perhaps into a conveyor to really condense them. Confessional is absolutely something I forgot about!
  • I like medbay's size, but the entrance and the room directly after it seem a bit cramped due to how rectangular they are. 
    I'm not entirely sure I understand this one. Is it that they're too gridlike, or that the lobby is crushing / flattening the upper room? I could pull the windows south one tile, but i'll admit medbay is #2 on my list of rooms I might try to redo from scratch, if it gets too messy.
  • The long hallway in security would make chasing prisoners pretty difficult, while the area in its top left seems kinda small. 
    In my opinion, my security layout is by far the weakest department in this map. The more I rework and re-cram bits and features people want to see in it, the stringier and more awkward it gets. I'm thinking I may abandon the front-door symmetry with medbay and totally re-hash it for better flow, but I'd really appreciate some more HoS input on how to sec good (easilly my least-played role)
  • Genpop is pretty big. Resizing it could provide some extra room for sec affairs.
    noted
  • Research and engineering are both pretty big. I see that QM has been given its own mini-ship, which I'm not a fan of; personally I think it should be more in your face to encourage crew interactions. Maybe whittle down the former two departments a bit to make room for QM on the main ship? Or do some reshuffling (e.g. move the PTL and disposals to the mini-ship)?
    Putting QM on its own was a big risk and it's required a fair bit of bargaining, but I knew from the start it might be a no-sell.
    As far as interaction it is effectively a black hole, yes. The cozy brown & purple room east of customs is meant to be their "front desk", with the cargopad out there for delivery and tubes for the quartermasters to commute.
    I think I could refactor research & ditch the intra-departmental hallway symmetry that I had set up with engineering, and with that, stuff the warehouse into the spot where telescience & disposals are. Move disposals and another minor warehouse to the nacelle. I'll fiddle a bit.

Miscellaneous questions/issues I have:
  • Are bathrooms/showers purposefully tiled with normal tiles rather than their usual tiles?
    oh, yeah.... uh... oops? fixed!
  • Where do some of the random flushers go (e.g. botany, the bar)?
    Here's the network!
    Mining contains flushers to QM nacelle, and the aft smelter
    Sports Bar contains a chute to the crew module
    Crew Module contains flushers to the courtroom, and to the aft hallway (near research) as well as morgue chute
    Courtroom has a chute to the aft hall as well
    In Botany: chutes to the kitchen and to the loafer- the loafer tube is of course biofiltered. The flusher goes to the QM nacelle and is also biofiltered.
    In crew quarters A: chute to the crew module.
    In the Bar, flushers go to the courtroom and to the aft hallway.
    Flushers in QM go back and forth to the office.
    Chute in chemistry goes to the pharmacy
    that's about all the weird ones.

• A packet sniffer in tech storage would be good.
    there's one in maint/storage near research, one in the computer core, and one in maint near the AI. that last one is technically no-id accessible via spacewalk
  • Mining could use a couple windows.
    will do
Some of the things I really like:
  • Botany. It looks very nice and feels comfortable. A front desk would be a great addition.
    I'll see if i can futz with the foyer to accomodate a windoor desk

(01-05-2019, 07:40 PM)ZeWaka Wrote: also wizship is no longer on station maps
So i've heard!
I kinda just tossed it there "in case" for testing on '16, but I deleted it earlier tonight, and instead moved the salvage-station bit into that corner (the wreckage to the east of the ghost drone shuttle, near the listening post)

send tweet

Messages In This Thread
RE: NSS HORIZON: The NT fleet's longest and most lengthy cruiser. - by warcrimes - 01-05-2019, 10:12 PM