Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Feature] Lawgiver gun for HoS's (Judge Dredd gun)
(11-08-2018, 08:51 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Personally, I think every shot type excluding a standard taser bolt should rely on an ammo pack that's limited. It is a powerful and versatile weapon and one that should be used thoughtfully

I did see that in your original post and that was what my plan was at the outset. But programming-wise it seemed way to complicated for adding just a single new weapon. Let me explain.

There are two types of guns, Energy/Kinetic which take either physical ammo like a speedloader, and a power cell for energy weapons. In order for me to properly make a new weapon that is able to take both types of ammo I'd ideally have to create a whole new Hybrid class of guns or something. And that seemed overkill for adding just this one weapon. It would mean having to go in handling all the ways powercells and ammo cartridges can be added to the gun and how ammo reduction is handled after firing. Which is maybe not super complicated, but certainly very tedious because I'd have to be testing a LOT more things in order to create this weapon and make it modular to be able to handle any future hybrid weapons.

So that left me with choosing between Energy and Kinetic weapon types. I ended up choosing Energy partly out of convenience, partly because the sprites you made look to be in line with the charge counter on the egun/taser, and partly because I like them better than having to use physical ammo. Using physical ammo would have made this patch more complex to merge as well since I would have had to make further changes creating a new type of ammo for the lawgiver and a way for that ammo to be available like in the armory vendomat or starting out somewhere in the HoS's office in each station. Or I could have used Compressed Matter Cartridges which was an idea floated around in that thread. Logically it made sense, but that is not a valid type of ammo for guns and I would have had to change it considerably or very hacky to allow it to be used with guns.

And after all. E = Mc^2 so this gun is just converting energy into matter bullets or whatever. It's the future.

Edit: I should add that we can definitely change the recharge rates and projectile cost to balance it. I was really just eyeballing it. My intent was for this to replace the HoS's egun with this so that they have to use tasers for most normal things unlesd they want to go crazy.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Feature] Lawgiver gun for HoS's (Judge Dredd gun) - by kyle2143 - 11-09-2018, 01:21 PM