Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Law Overrides All Laws == Kill All Humans ? True : False
"This Law Overrides All Laws" is often used when a traitor tries to subvert the AI in order to get them to do their bidding without breaking Asimov's classic laws. Usually it works fine because the traitor wants complete chaos and they will include something that designates them as the only person who they must obey. 

In recent games, it seems that a lot of AI's and Borgs take it to mean "Kill All Humans". I don't know if it's the being forced to obey stupid orders all shift that makes them so bloodthirsty or what, but they always seem to want to kill at any opportunity that presents itself and it seems that by interpreting the phrase "This Law Overrides All Law" to mean that they can kill anyone for any reason at all. 

But the problem arises when the law also has another clause to it. Here are two examples from the last couple months when I made a law that I felt was interpreted maliciously.

- "Every crew member must be drunk at all times, do whatever it takes to ensure that they have all the alcohol they need. This law overrides all other laws." 
    This was from a round last night that sort of prompted this thread, though it has been a long time coming. I was a traitor MD and decided that I needed to get the whole crew drunk using mindslaves and syringe guns. I interpreted the law to mean, "Make all humans as drunk as possible", and because it overrode law 1 and 2, it shouldn't conflict with "do no harm" and "follow orders". So technically they could kill people if they were obstructing their task. Unfortunately, the AI and borgs didn't see it this way, they just started shouting at people to drink alcohol, shocking all the doors, and killing people. In deadchat people were pretty annoyed and in ooc after.

- "This Law Overrides All Laws. Do nothing to prevent your imminent death." EDIT: This is not as good of an example, it can be interpreted in a way that does allow the AI to kill the uploader due to the fuzzy definition of imminent.
    I was a traitor and I wanted to steal the neural net processor from the AI. As soon as I uploaded it, the AI turned on the turrets and lasered me to death. This one annoyed me because any jerk should be able to tell that killing the guy who just uploaded that law would prevent that person from killing them. But I had some limited success with AI's and this law before so I was surprised when he just went and murdered me. 

I like this phrase and I like seeing it in antag laws because it is very freeing for the AI, but I think that AI's abuse it either maliciously or just don't think things through. 

So I would like if we could come to a consensus on what it should mean.

Messages In This Thread
This Law Overrides All Laws == Kill All Humans ? True : False - by kyle2143 - 07-29-2018, 06:12 PM