Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mechanics/signal/computer nerdery sharing thread: Post your inventions
It has been a dream of mine to summon the shuttle using TermOS on a laptop, but afaik, it cannot be done without some ludicrous MechCom contraption to back it up.

And, just to contribute, my highest achievement in MechCom was creating voice-directed pay-4-use teleporters, where the cash could be collected remotely... that didn't quite work.

Ya see, I just connected a microphone and a cash-component directly to a teleporters 'name' and 'activate' inputs respectively, and placed some named 'end' teleporters to receive the cargo/person.
"But Grim" you might say, "Wouldn't you need a filter for the microphone input, so that the teleporter doesn't get set to whatever random phrase was uttered in close proximity?". "Yes, it should have." would I reply, "But I couldn't be arsed to set that up, especially not one that could be remotely updated to include new destinations." No, I spend my time trying to fool-proof the cash-collection.

You see, in order to make money on this venture, the money stored in the cash-component would need to be retrieved. This can be done in one of 2 ways: You can walk up to it, input the 'secure code' and make the casher drop the money on the floor. But wandering around picking up small sums of cash is dangerous, and tedious.
But you can also set up another components output to activate the drop, and then you only have to input the secure code once during setup (or could you send it along as the output, it forget it's been a while).

So I had wired a WiFi component to the cash-component, which could be activated via a radio-signal sent via TermOS. The cash would drop on another teleporter pad (also activated by the WiFi component), which sent all the cash to my collection teleporter, in the Mechanic's room.
"But Grim" you might be coerced to say, by an odd narrative in a post, "Wouldn't it be really easy to sabotage the setup, by removing or disabling that teleporter?". And you would be correct.

It also took me about 5 minutes to set up each of these up, which doesn't sound very long, but in order for teleporters to be usefull, you need at least 3, and then they need to not get blown up.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mechanics/signal/computer nerdery sharing thread: Post your inventions - by The Grim Sleeper - 07-22-2018, 05:43 AM