Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.29 Average
Phaser Type I: a weak/versatile standard issue phaser for emergencies
OK, this is wildly more unpopular than I hoped. Maybe it's because of the presentation, or the whole idea, or me attempting to be snarky. I guess I'll never know. I think I'll probably hold off on this for now until I can figure out a good way to do it if at all, but I would like to clarify some things about the idea just for the sake of correctness in terms of what I had in mind. For starters, I wanted this to be more of a utility item than strictly a weapon, but showing 3 "weapon" settings probably gave the wrong idea.

@Mordent, the way in which this "should" have helped you escape from danger was the "stun" setting, which reduces the stamina of humans by about 40 on hit so you can out sprint them if you land one or two on them.The burn damage setting I wanted because I felt that it should have at least some offensive functionality, and it would be an actual way for a regular crewman to deal with a pod shooting lasers at them through a window. I had the two damage settings because I didn't have much of the utility settings worked out yet so I thought I'd just keep the weak damage setting around(that shot took 60PU of the 90PU cell capacity so it couldn't do much). Like I said, I mostly wanted ideas for more utility functions because that was what I felt would make it an interesting tool more than a just weapon, but none of the ideas I had on my own seemed particularly good enough.

@Kremlin I think I stated in my post somewhere that the idea was definitely not to take away using improvised weapons in favour of always using the phaser. That was explicitly why I made it so weak and unable to actually stun people unless they were out of stamina, which is exactly like hitting them with a melee weapon. But I thought projectile weapons were fun, and having an accessible/low-stakes weapon that people could use would be interesting. Plus I hoped that I could get better ideas for the utility functions that would have been more interesting than what I had, which would have made it more of a common useful tool (sort of like how the PDA has so many functions) more than the weapon.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phaser Type I: a weak/versatile standard issue phaser for emergencies - by kyle2143 - 06-07-2018, 11:35 AM