Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ideas for a goonstation research system
I'd like to see study of natural phenomena a part of research. Things like the random events (Blowouts, ion storms, asteroid impacts, magnetic polarity, etc) that can be researched either during the event or afterwards.

An example: Study bits of asteroids after an impact to build better shields...or a device that attracts more asteroids towards it

I'd also like to see research that pertains to the more colorful antagonists. Vampires, blobs, wizards, changelings, etc. Either study the subjects themselves or samples of them to create useful things.

Example: Study a changeling to replicate their abilities in the form of a "Skin" suit that gives you regenerative and mimic powers.

When it comes to say, researching common items to build upgrades, I'd rather it not be so much about sticking the item in a machine and having it do the work while you wait.

Instead, if it was somehow based on observation during use. Like, say there's a variety of sensors you wear that take readings. So if you want to build a better stun baton, you'd need a volunteer to wear the senors while you stunned them repeatedly.

OR, loan out your sensors to people to wear while they go about their round, having them collect the data for you.

(08-14-2016, 11:15 AM)misto Wrote: but what are we going to be using this research system for, exactly? are we going to be building new science guns?
Partly better guns, but I can think of other things. Maybe new chems that are unlocked after researching? 

For instance, we've got epinephrine and atropine for treating heart conditions, right? So let's say, you get someone wear a sensor suit, and then you induce a heart attack. You treat them once with epinephrine, and then perform the test again with atropine. Now you have useful data about how heart conditions occur and how drugs treat them, so you use the data to create a third, much more potent med that instantly cures heart conditions, maybe even grows a new heart in place if the subject is missing one.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ideas for a goonstation research system - by Frank_Stein - 08-14-2016, 11:23 AM