Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Empty Servers in the US
I feel the reason why the location of the server doesn't matter as much, as per-say... A modern FPS is that (This is a theory mind you) for how old byond is, and how it was coded.

Byond was originally made back in 2001. When ISDN and DSL were very big (and slow compared to modern cable/fiber lines) So you needed to make a good lag compensation system, especially for a multilayer platform that is measured in ticks on tiles and blocks. With that kind of environment, being a 2D world like an old Dungeon Crawler game from the late 80s. (Taking a step is considered a turn and thus one tick) It's easier for the system to synchronize players together.

Anyway, that's my guess as to why the distance of the server doesn't matter as much for SS13/Byond then it would for, per say, Call of Duty, Counter-strike, Chivalry, etc.

Out of curiosity, what is the specs of the machine that hosts #4? If my machine blows it out of the water I could make a virtual machine for just SS13
My PC Specs are as follows
I7-3770k (4 cores, 8 threads running at 3.5Ghz each)
16Gb of Memory (Ram)
A Geforce 970 Oc with 4GB of DDR5 Vram (If this matters at all for SS13 hosting, I doubt it does)
I have half of a 256GB SSD that isn't being used and half of a 2TB HDD if that isn't enough for the system.

TLbig grinR I just shit a theory out my ass about byond coding and told the admins my computer specs and offered to use it to host a server.

Messages In This Thread