Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Replicants as an Antagonist
I love replicants in all forms of fiction. Robots that are so close to human, they might as well BE human.

I've been trying to find a niche for a new antagonist and came up with this scale.
  • 1. Starter Powers Do you inherantly start with supernatural abilities of any sort? (Acid spit, magic missile, vampire bite)
  • 2. Starter Gear Do you inherantly start with a specific tool or item? (teleport scroll, 4-use implanter)
  • 3. Choose Powers Can you select your supernatural abilities from multiple options? (Currently this is wizard only!)
  • 4. Choose Gear Can you selectst a specific tool or item from multiple options? (Traitor PDA, Syndicate radios, cthulu staff)
  • 5. Stealth Do you inherantly start with stealth? (syndicate names/wizard names blatantly mark them!)

Another smaller part of this is evolving powers, such as vampire powers expanding, changeling regeneration being based on DNA, but it's not quite as vital as the main powers.

Out of these main powers, the roles currently have a pretty nice spread, except for the greedy fucking wizard.

TRAITOR: 4, 5
CHANGELING: 1, 5
VAMPIRE: 1, 5
SYNDICATE: 2, 4
WIZARD: 1, 2, 3, 4

However, there's no stealthy usage of selected powers at the moment, so there's no 3, 5 mix. That's what I want Replicants to be.

Spawn exactly the same looking as a normal human. You look, move, talk, bleed the same as anyone else.
However, like a wizard would, you can decide on your Powers. I've been trying to think of interesting ones, this is what I can think of.
  • Built-In Communications: An all-channel headset built into your skull! Check the channels available by clicking it in your Powers tab.
  • Mechanical Eyes: Thermal! Mesons! Sunglasses! Pro-Docs! VISOR! Disable and enable them at-will, so not to blow your cover when flashed.
  • Metal Skeleton: Seriously increased brute damage resistance. Your limbs cannot be blown off, only surgically removed.
  • PermaFlesh: Seriously increased burn damage resistance. Not slowed by cold temperatures.
  • Iron Chest: Inhaled gasses or chemicals do not affect you. Walk through that prions smoke cloud! Suck up that plasma!
  • Sub-Lungs: Internals, except internally! 100kpa of oxygen on an internal storage usable without an internal mask. Maybe it refills when in pressurised environments?
  • Reactive Blood: Poisons and diseases are taken from your bloodstream and stored in an internal resevoir. *piss to release toxins, beware of buildups. i sure can't wait until replicants are forcefully made to drink toxins and piss to check their humanity
  • Finger-Derringer: On command, firepower at your fingertips! No, really!
  • Face Replicator: Fill up an internal blood resevoir, and you can take on someone's form! Functions like a changeling transform, but blood drains while using it. 
  • etc etc, these could be ballanced similarly to Telecrystals on a PDA. In order to maintain stealth, all of these can be activated and de-activated on command.

How can I tell it's a replicant?
A changeling is revealed by spitting acid, transforming or by a blood test.
A replicant can be exposed by witnessing him breathing in space, walking off explosions, or other similar things. Maybe if you cut his skull out, it's metal! I dunno.

How do I defeat a replicant?
They're still "human", technically, so just beat his dumb robot face in with a heavy object. Unless he's got his brute damage activated, in which case good luck!!

The main thing I'm getting stuck on is objectives. I don't want a super-sterile objective environment like Changelings, where it's very much eat-people-or-be-bored-and-boring. I want this to be as varied as a traitor round can be, where it allows for a lot more gimmicks and a lot less murder.
Harvest 5 brains? Collect 10 samples of staff blood? Cut out the skull of Prae Sett, the Janitor? Take the AI's brain and clone it into another replicant? Who knows, very very open to suggestions here.

I want this to be an antagonist to rival the Traitor in terms of stealth, subterfuge and customisation, but not to be a big gear-laiden murdermonster with 7 lasers and a belt of medicine. I figure this is the best way to ballance of it.

Please tell me how bad this is thanks

NOTE: I spent all day writing this in 30-second spurts in work so this will not be very presentable or coherant, my bad

Messages In This Thread