Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.47 Average
i think goon should be an 18+ server, like everyone else.
Individual opinion, not whole team stance, etc. etc.

I don't understand what we have to gain from changing. We'd lose a slice of our players (there are more teenage players than some people might think) for... what?

At the end of the day, safety of our players is very high on my list of priorities. I do not want to give a shield of "well, the game is for adults, how was I supposed to know they were a child?" to anyone. While we expressly do not allow any sexual content right now, and thus they would still be breaking the rules if they did it once we shifted to 18+, I don't really care about that. People who were going to break the rules were going to break the rules, we have tools to deal with them (bans, mostly).

What I do not want is a place where players feel like they have to lie about being 18 to play, or a place where adults can "safely" assume that they're off breaking the rules with someone who is also an adult, and therefore it's "not hurting anyone".

People trying to engage in predatory behavior is difficult enough (and, frankly, disgusting) without us then having to try to discern the truth in whether they're just being a horny ERPer (not allowed here, but whatever, I'm not going to judge) or being an actual internet predator.

I see zero benefit to bumping the age requirement unless we're enforcing it, and I have zero desire to handle the vast swathes of PII that comes with verifying that you're 18. Having to verify your age alone would be enough of a deterrent that it would affect our player count, let alone the <18 year old players we'd lose from it).

Messages In This Thread
RE: i think goon should be an 18+ server, like everyone else. - by Mordent - 10-05-2024, 01:55 PM