Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.47 Average
i think goon should be an 18+ server, like everyone else.
Hiya

I haven't really been around the last few months so I've definitely had an outsider looking in kind of perspective on a lot of these issues, but I feel like what I have to say is relevant since I have been in another server that is 18+ during that time. First off I'm in support of raising the age to 18+. The main reason being, to put it bluntly, I just don't wanna be around children in this space and I find it very uncomfortable that I have to be careful with what I say. This is especially considering that most of the playerbase is already adults, and it feels rather out of left field when a child does pop into the conversation (whether it be on Discord or in-game). Now when I say "be careful with what I say" I don't mean NSFW or anything explicit, I just mean there are a lot of topics I'd discuss around other adults that'd be ill fitting to bring up around kids. You know, life stuff. Or perhaps a show or movie that has mature themes that a child isn't really ready to process. Anyhow that's really the crux of how I feel about it, its not super deep or anything I'd just rather not be around children in a space that is already primarily occupied by adults.

That said I do wanna address some points that were made in this thread, ones I think that are both good and bad.

One of those is the concern that making it 18+ will give people the wrong impression about goon, and invite people wanting to ERP. I believe this falls under the "read the rules" category, and we would just... ban people accordingly if they decided to not read the rules and adhere to the sexual content policy. I dunno I feel like its about as straightforward as it is now for anyone who'd make the argument of "I didn't know!" Also as others have mentioned, there are other 18+ SS13 servers that explicitly state they are not ones for ERP.

The other point is "people can just lie" Well, yeah but it kind of shifts the liability elsewhere when the person in question lied about their age to gain access as opposed to there being no safeguard.

Last point I'd like to address is Joel's, which I feel is honestly pretty salient and adds to the conversation in a way that I hadn't really considered fully. I suppose it is somewhat relevant to what I said earlier in regards to there being certain topics you just don't really bring up around children, but it is going to be frustrating for both parties no matter what when both of said parties are someone in their early 20s and the other is one who is thirteen. One has finished high school, likely has held down multiple jobs, and could even be in the process of finishing college. Where as the other is just starting 8th grade.

What I'm trying to illustrate here is these two are basically on different planets in regards to development, and where they are at in life. And this, as Joel said, leads to a lot of isolation and misunderstanding. Especially considering most of the community here is already over the age of 18. So while I can definitely picture myself enjoying SS13 at that young age for the silliness on the face of it, I can definitely imagine myself in all of the scenarios Joel brought up because, like any 13-14 year old, I was socially awkward and didn't understand a lot of things in regards to the socializing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: i think goon should be an 18+ server, like everyone else. - by Fuppy - 10-05-2024, 12:04 PM