Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Let's make "example pieces" to explain rules.
I appreciate the sentiment, and sure I don't think basic, generic examples are helpful. I do not think they can account the complexity of context, nor the human capacity to take any example they're given and try and break and twist it as far as they can into a shield for otherwise dodgy behaviour because "Well it's not like the example" and then we end up relying on administrative judgement around whether you're being, politely speaking, disingenuous.

I am struggling a bit to see where the rules can be any more plain for the most part. Don't grief already has some basic examples, listen to the admins maybe but if we're struggling with discourse in a literal discourse-based game that seems like a bigger issue. No metagaming by its own virtue is going to have people trying to find ways around an example and the basic premise is pretty clear right: Don't talk outside of a round. So on.

The language rule, because language is what it is, is a hydra to exemplify (especially as English happens to be mutable so it regularly changes what things even mean as a funny joke/with the times) but it definitely seems (because I don't know for sure) to be the thing that catches most people out. Maybe here?

Are you regularly finding you have an idea that you can't see covered in the rules, having to ahelp it, and wait for a response? If you are, what sort of thing is it? Maybe there's a common theme to identify.

Do you have any examples of a rule that you, or you think others regularly would be helped by having a specific example? Not to make you do all the work sorry I'm just trying to picture how exactly this would work, or if there's something I'm missing in the idea.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's make "example pieces" to explain rules. - by Lefinch - 10-05-2024, 03:30 AM