Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Incarceration Booth
Functionally and realistically: Great idea, NT would pay big spacebux for a convenient quick tool to quickly check in/out for searches with 100% efficiency. Speeds up processing for both the potential criminal and the security putting them through. Also sounds great from a "Speed up getting people back into a round" aspect. I do get it. I even like the quick-change uniform.

Personally, I would be strongly against implementing this idea for mostly gameplay reasons. 

It's coming from a really good place for the reasons I listed above I think. However, I would argue automating any part of the security processing of antagonists has the following impact:

• Easing up/speeding up the processing of criminals both encourages more searching (because why not), less mistakes (As the machine can't be distracted, and can't "give a break" to antagonist caught a little early) and more arbitrary searches (because if you have a machine that's quick, why not put people through it even if you don't really have any legitimate suspicion?) More searches defeat the efficiency, less mistakes removes an aspect of antagonism entirely, and arbitrary searches are bad for everyone. 
  • if destructible (and if not, that's a whole other issue) the booth is now priority target #1 on the station due to being an extremely easy way to denude an antagonist of their tools upon legitimate arrest or just whimsy. This if I'm right about that adds an element of predictability to antagonism, and I don't think predictability is a good thing personally. 
  • Automating a part of the round mechanics can be good if its reducing tedium. I don't think bag searches are supposed to be happening often enough that they're tedious for the antagonist, and for the officer it's a part of their role that requires a basic skill element due to the fact that items can be concealed in a variety of ways on a person. It also has another skill element for officers especially on RP: knowing when to give some poor sod antagonist a break when they're running a gimmick, or perhaps got caught a little too early for their own good and you want to give them a fighting chance. Taking this away from officers for a machine that can't make that decision or be genuinely fooled just feels wrong to me. 

I don't play security very often and I'm not exactly an authority so this is just all my opinion, but I did want to explain in detail why I like the idea and think you put a lot of thought into it, while also being very set against actually seeing it put in.

Messages In This Thread
The Incarceration Booth - by Milkcan - 09-12-2024, 11:20 PM
RE: The Incarceration Booth - by Lefinch - 09-13-2024, 12:18 AM
RE: The Incarceration Booth - by Lord_earthfire - 09-13-2024, 12:32 AM
RE: The Incarceration Booth - by Milkcan - 09-13-2024, 01:17 AM
RE: The Incarceration Booth - by Glamurio - 09-13-2024, 12:41 AM
RE: The Incarceration Booth - by Kotlol - 09-13-2024, 03:48 PM
RE: The Incarceration Booth - by meaow589 - 09-14-2024, 08:50 PM
RE: The Incarceration Booth - by ju45he - 09-16-2024, 06:42 AM
RE: The Incarceration Booth - by Lefinch - 09-16-2024, 11:33 AM