Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Prep time and pay off (Discussion/talk)
So I got thinking after a post on the one element in SS13 that has been bothering me all the time and I been suggesting things like many others of how to fix it.

And that is the simple act of "Prep time and pay off"

This came in mind when discussing the chef in another topic with how the chef sometimes has to do a lot of waiting and preparing stuff to mostly end up with food they can never serve unless asked, cause leaving it out means "Glutton Mcstaffy" will just eat it and leave.
Or they would end up making it infront of someone wich will take minutes of making it for them only to eat it and finish it.

But it's not just that, it's a lot of jobs that got this "I want to do this, but it might take too long for the pay off" and some are by design perfect. Robotcists and surgeons are long because that's just what it is. Either you learn to deal with your handicap or go under the knife.

But others like the chef (again) and botany.. have what I call "too much down time" and step on eachother's toes as well.
If a botanist gets a harvest going.. it keeps going and going. And if the food is good enough to fill, no one wants to see the chef.
As for the chef... they need to cut things, bake things, make things before they can make something else. It's a lot of messy work.
This is one the reasons I think the chef is underutlizied. The chef decides what the kitchen serves yes.. but if a player wants a specific food and the chef doesn't have the ingridents.. That is dead in the water.
If the chef isn't prepped for it.. it can take very long to get the food ready by grabbing everything and then waiting on something fried.. good lord.

It slowly more and more dawned on me how much more jobs (in mostly the civilian sector) has to do so much for lil pay off/reason and end up being more fun doing things for your own.
Genecists need a lot of prep time and research to get the mutations they want/need or never find it... and then start selling it, but we have a WHOLE THREAD of "Genecists do not care" cause most genecists need the whole shift to sometimes get the perfect thing. It sucks immensly being an antagonist genecist and needing a certain mutation for a gimmick to only never find it...

And I been thinking of stream lining things a lot so these gimmicks become more common and accesiable by either removing inter-department cooperation. (Like the chef wants to make hot chili but botany won't make chili's so he can use his own money to buy some of it from a "Farmer market" , thus avoding botany and cargo)

OR streamlining some departments with new mechanics that basically remove some of the interactions that makes it very engaging , but these methodes would end up not bringing in the highest quality. (I use botany for this comparrison, just putting in a seed in a special cotnainer that instantly grows it for harvest, without giving seeds just the product. Only works on pure seeds not anything mixed)

So now that my thoughts are out there. I want to start a discussion on this kinda stuff. No suggestions or anything... 
I want to discuss the thoughts, feelings and stories on prep time and pay off.

So let the discussion begin!

Messages In This Thread
Prep time and pay off (Discussion/talk) - by Kotlol - 08-30-2024, 01:54 AM