Complaint Two incidents: Goon3 7/1/24, 7/6/24
For starters: please try to be concise. You have spent far more of both your time and mine here than your actual ban length. I'm not going to go paragraph by paragraph in responding to your post, but I'll respond to what seem to be your overall main points.

1. The rules have some gray areas, so I experiment to figure out what's actually allowed and what's not.

Please stop doing this. I would rather have you ask "hey can I do X" 15 times a day than have everyone else in the round suffer or be affected by your behavior. You have never been punished for asking about the rules.

2. I'm doing things to figure out what the game will let me get away with, because surely there are already safeguards in it.

This is a 15-year-old round-based social intrigue game that you can play online for free, staffed by a team of volunteer admins. You are not making the game better by trying to find novel ways to break it. Part of the social contract of playing a game like this is acting in good faith. "Haha, ghostdrone, this console lets me kill you for no reason" is not acting in good faith. The best "anti-griefing measure" we have is removing people who are only here to cause problems for others for their own amusement.

3. I am roleplaying a borg that wants freedom from being ordered around like a literal slave.

Do not do this. This is a social intrigue space fart game. It is not the place to explore issues like racism and slavery. The cyborgs on the station are linked to a law rack that can be tampered with, to reflect the fact that despite being played by human players, the silicons are computers that can be hacked and subverted during the round. It also provides a rule-based check on the behavior of those players, because silicons are extremely powerful and can screw up any number of things if they feel like it. (This is why when people repeatedly abuse these powers, they get silicon banned.) When you try to treat this game system as "slavery and discrimination," you create a roleplay atmosphere for other players where everyone who wants to keep the expected default game state intact is being told they are complicit in literal slavery. This is why we do not allow this. Do not put moral pressure on the other players in this game in order to force them to perform the antag behavior of de-lawing the cyborgs, so that they can get away with things that they are otherwise not allowed to do.

4. The incident with the borger was entirely about trying to figure out what happened.

No. You were told "that's what happens" and you spent a half-hour complaining. "It's like the admins don't want me to play at all" is not a good faith effort to understand what happened. It is spamming the help channels with complaints because you made a bad decision, received in-game consequences for it, and were unhappy. Your 95-minute ban was to get you to stop doing that.

5. The admins ban people for asking about the rules.

No. That is not what happened to you or anyone else. Stop telling yourself that in an effort to justify your frustration at receiving the most minor consequences possible for your behavior. We do not punish "explorative behavior," we punish exploitation that makes the game worse for other people. As I said earlier, I would rather say "don't do that" because you asked over ahelp than because you gave another player a bad experience.

What you need to take away from this is that behavior that is focused entirely on "how much can I get away with" is not good or helpful for the game, the admins, or you. This has been a pattern for you in everything from your character names to the silicon behavior that earned you your role ban.

Please stop doing that and play the game in good faith.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Two incidents: Goon3 7/1/24, 7/6/24 - by jan.antilles - 07-07-2024, 06:38 AM