Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Have job titles show up under players with ALT hover-over
as a point of comparison, /tg/-code implements this by having it be one of many icons, like our health / arrest overlays. it is visible only to people wearing security huds. it is just an icon based on the job's text -- a medic has a blue cross, assistants are a gray A, etc, the full text is not shown.

examining a person on tg/monke will put a full-size image of their id card in your chat box, making it more visible.

... that said.

i, personally, do not like this idea. "but zam, you're usually all over quality of life stuff" -- this is true, and i even held the opposite stance with online/offline status.

but i do not think this is a good change. some things should have friction. some things shouldn't be quick to discern, and this is one of them.

names make some sense, because in the context of this game you are aboard a station with coworkers, presumably ones you are at least relatively familiar with. you need some information to make the game work. so you "recognize" your coworkers. (unfamiliar names also work, because Game Design.) but that doesn't necessarily need to carry to job titles, and you would need to be pretty close to read someone's ID card in person.

just treat alt-click as you leaning in to squint at their tag.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have job titles show up under players with ALT hover-over - by Zamujasa - 06-29-2024, 01:42 PM