Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Thoughts and suggestions on medical department
(06-22-2024, 12:24 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: I believe this is partially false. This is SS13, a game where people partially go to because if its complexity.  A good chunk of our playerbase play jobs solely because multiple systems that are interconnected in a way that provide a challenge and keep playing the same job over and over interesting.

That's why low depth busywork-jobs , like janitor, have actual problems keeping non-new players in them. You got the regulars, but that's about it.

I think this is just the difference between a skill floor and a skill ceiling. Janitor is an example of a job with a low skill floor and a low skill ceiling - new players can learn very quickly what to do and failure has minimal impact, but it's also fairly easy to reach the point at which nothing is interesting to accomplish anymore.

Meanwhile Engineer is an example of a job with a high skill floor and a high skill ceiling. It requires some learning to accomplish your job at the start, but there's a lot of complexity as to how far you can push mechanics.

Currently medical doctoring has a relatively low floor compared to some jobs; mending the four basic damage types is quite trivial. However, it also doesn't have the highest skill ceiling because the most efficient way to do most things is often the simplest. It's also a job with one the highest potential impacts when performed poorly; if noone is around to know basics well enough, it prevents many people from continuing to play the game.

I believe Kotlol's point is that the floor needs to be maintained to some extent even while the ceiling is raised.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts and suggestions on medical department - by Egregorious - 06-22-2024, 04:14 AM