Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Thoughts and suggestions on medical department
(06-20-2024, 11:03 PM)JackMoloney Wrote: I was going to make a long and exhaustive list in terms of issues with Medbay, however, they can all be summed up in a single sentence: 

"Medbay has been fool proofed into boredom through simplicity, and changing it would take forever."

Saying anything else would be disrespectful to other posts, as I'd just be parroting them, and I'm stating this as a medical veteran with extensive medical and chemical knowledge. Did you know a chilled beer drip can heal toxic damage faster than pentetic acid?

In short, +1.

If medbay wasn't simple, it had a higher barrier of entry. If it has a high barrier of entry, no one plays doctor. If no one plays doctor, anyone damaged might as well be a walking bullseye for antags.

I do agree it's been foolproofed, but it has to be foolproofed. Without foolproofing, during chaos the doctors are always gonna be overwhelmed.

This is why in "MY OPINION" , we need to tackle medical/cloning and such as food/hunger does.
You "CAN" get a cheap snack and drink from the machines for a simple fix, but never will it give big buffs or fill you in 1 go then like getting a well cooked meal from the chef or something well grown by botany.

It took me a while to think, but this is how i see medbay's mechanics "suppose to function"

- Automenders, cryo, cloning is the standard. It gives no buffs and infact doing this constantly starts doing decay, making it easier to reinstate those wounds.
You aren't fixing the problem, you are patching it.

- Actual doctoring will take more time and effort, but it has no side effects and downsides and may even give buffs.
Insted of your brute damage being mended away, doctors remove it and strengthen your body. Causing your tissue to be able to resist damage better for a short while.

- If you don't want durability problems, you got to robotcists to get organs replaced. You will be locked out of chemical buffs.
Simple as this.

- Genetics gives genetical buffs/debuffs, they can be left alone as it is.

In my opinion.. we need the simple tasks so the station can function. Especially if medbay gets blown up for the 200th time. There needs to be an easy way to doctor people... but have it be a downside. Just like cloning starts showing defects the more you clone... the more someone gets healed with a mender, the more tissue damage remains and thus start taking debuffs as insted of taking 5 brute per punch, it becomes 7 or 8 or at worst 10.
But with the right doctoring.. for atleast 5 minutes that 5 brute is only 4 brute.

This is what we need. Those who "CHOSE" to go out of their way to stay in medbay, gets results. Those who want to "CHOSE" to opt out can visit a robotcist. Those who want to get a quick heal and suffer the consiquences "CHOSE" this.

It feels better to CHOSE your options, rather then "Mender me doc" as your only option.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts and suggestions on medical department - by Kotlol - 06-21-2024, 02:58 AM