Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Thoughts and suggestions on medical department
As someone who has a decent level of experience in doctoring I want to give my 2 cents:

Genetics: I'm a big fan of genetics however I think it lacks interaction and is heavily RNG dependent, I'd make the genetic analyzer be able to scan people for potential genes and then going back to the console to get chromosomes from it and perhaps researching a random gene from the researched person's gene potential (won't research or give chromosomes if they don't have any potential genes).

Robotics: In my opinion there's very little to do as a roboticist outside of occasional surgeries and borg maintenance but I don't think they should be merged, just expanded upon to actually be useful for upgrading both borgs and AI in some way and contributing to upgrading some medical equipment.

Medical Doctor: Doctoring feels pretty bland in my opinion. I often see multiple doctors rushing to just serve 1 patient (yes I'm that doctor sitting and crying inside when people refuse to let me heal them) and I do agree it's mainly because medkits are plentiful (and stupidly overloaded) so you will often see someone pick up a medkit and heal themselves up or take countless of medical chems scattered around medbay instead.

I believe right now medical is overloaded with chemicals and equipment roundstart completely nullifying any need for a doctor. Things like health analyzers, analyzer upgrades and hyposprays should be moved to the fab and have similar level of barrier to getting them as mender so mining is pressured to actually do their job. Pharmacy should get either merged into chemistry and a dedicated chemist role should be created or pharmacy should simply be made into a sub-department and have a pharmacist role created instead. I always wished for there to be a pharmacist job since it's the kind of role I'd actually love to play as and can't wait till a dedicated job like that gets added.

Small tangent time:

Medical modules for borgs need to be nerfed because they're carrying more tools than any doctor ever did and generally outperform regular doctors.

Sleeper pods and it's porta counterpart in my opinion should not heal people and instead should put them in suspension/stasis for a doctor to process the patient and/or do that while slowly healing them back up (that way people aren't kept in there forever if a doctor can't reach them), they generally heal people fully up and anyone can use them willy nilly.

Cryo tubes are a necessary evil sadly if the patient is in deepcrit otherwise you're risking an unfortunate deathroll RNG. Cloning is doo doo but right now it's essential since the only other revival method is begging both the director and bartender to give you ingredients to make strange reagent. Until more methods come we're stuck with what we have and I have to agree I've changed my mind a bit about cloning, it's just necessary for it to exist right now.

Also made you read another essay smile

(06-12-2024, 06:44 PM)Snowy Wrote:
(06-12-2024, 04:24 PM)Kotlol Wrote: I'd like to point out, SR is does not revive you if you get gibbed or blown up. Wich some jobs are prone to expirence... clone scanning and then being cloned is the ONLY way to avoid it.

I do like the robotic hearts revive too, but again.. that's a new SR problem. Maybe another chemical that could revitalize the brain and body to make it ready to be revived outside of SR could be made that requires a robotic heart to spread it to make it work.

But.. as I said.. nerfing cloning is buffing gibbing/exploding people is buffing changelings killing and absorbing players who are cloned scanned is buffing wraith's who decay bodies.

That is the underlying issue with why people do not think clone nerfing is needed. Especially since it's also a hot target for rampagers to take out.

If we want to revive players better... alternatives to cloning is one thing.. but we simply need to make cloning more interactive , while we can keep the automated version... if a manual cloning exists where you can pull off perfect cloning with 0 issues. Then you can NERF automated cloning and make defects more intense.

NOT: Here is another way to revive, so let's nerf cloning.
Since cloning is also insuring yourself from death by being pre-scanned and if you nerf that safety net... you will get miners who are prone to being gibbed on your butt.

Yeah, pre scanning should still be a thing. Maybe focus the nerf(s) on scanning already dead people? IDK, I think that may cause issues of its own.

I like your idea of making cloning less simple than pressing a button, but there still needs to be a good reason to use other methods of healing over cloning. I remember hearing someone bring up the idea of biomatter being more scarce of a resource. Although I’m unsure I’m not sure if that would be enough of a deterrent unless if it was completely finite.

What if everytime someone gets scanned a geneticist gets a request to decode a pretty hefty DNA sequence to ensure clone defects are minimized while rewarding the geneticist with a small material income? Bring back pre-nerfed cloning defects for non-sequenced clones in the meantime too. I really need to learn coding for all of my ideas.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts and suggestions on medical department - by Solwra - 06-14-2024, 12:04 PM