Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Genuine question about rule 4 and use of words
this is not an official team response.

Quote:1. Clarification on "Dick" vs. "Penis":

* The rule allows the term "dicks" but prohibits terms like "cunts" and "bitches", and other sexual content referring language. Could someone  provide me more context on why "dicks" is considered acceptable while similar terms are not?  Perhaps this could help with easier understanding of different situations that can occur within this context that's not acceptable.

"dick" is an actual name in use in a lot of places. both as shorthand for "richard", but also just in general. i live near a dick's burgers. down the road from that is a dick's sporting goods. one of our worst presidents was richard "dick" nixon.

you can't really say the same about the other examples.

Quote:2. Consistency in Language Rules:

* The rule states that calling someone "dick" is acceptable because it is a common way to insult someone in a conversation, but references to "penis" are not allowed, both are words can be used in sexual contexts, and both can be considered sexual words.

"fuck you" and "i'm going to fuck you" both involve the word "fuck", but only one has sexual connotations.

"quit being a dick" and "suck my dick", likewise, have different meanings.

Quote:3. Justification for Language Use:

* The explanation is that calling someone a "dick" is normal, but calling someone a "bitch" isn't because it can be interpreted as bigotry. In my opinion

thanks for your opinion.

dick - an offensive word for somebody, especially a man, that you think is stupid or unpleasant
bitch (slang, offensive) - an offensive way of referring to a woman who you think is unpleasant

the oxford dictionary adds the "slang, offensive" part. it's not just an opinion.

there's also the (edit: sorry, got interrupted and forgot to finish this thought)
...historical implications of gender, repression, etc. around gendered slurs. too heavy of a topic for here, but part of it too.

Quote:4. Cultural Sensitivity:

* There are other words or terms that are also considered common insults and therefore should be allowed, and if so, could we have a clearer examples or a list to avoid confusion?

the rules provide what are by far the most common examples and plenty of people still do not read those. the vast majority of people do not have a problem understanding the rules.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Genuine question about rule 4 and use of words - by Zamujasa - 05-31-2024, 09:52 AM