Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Miners have too many tools. Condense them into one modular tool.
After playing miner a bit, I've come to the conclusion that they have *too many* tools that do *too many* things.

Pickaxe, hammer, drill, hammer, concussive gauntlets, and that's just from the fabricator.

In the Nano-fabricator, you have 4 more options to make custom tools, bringing the total amount of tools to a whopping 9. Despite this, 90% of the time I see people make the hammer, as it allows large, efficient AOE mining.

I think the best move for mining would be to condense everything into one tool with multiple modes - A power drill.

Miners would start off with one of these and they'd be fabb-able. My suggestion for it is that it would have a low power mode that causes it to slowly regenerate its battery over time, due to power picks being a pain in the ass to recharge on Oshan and tedious to recharge otherwise, and a high power mode that gives it the same strength as the power pick. This would simply be toggled like a chainsaw or current power pick.

Instead of there being a bundle of unnecessary and confusing tools, allow the power drill to instead have mods which can be printed from the regular fabricator to modify the drill. It would be cool if these had visual attachments, but unnecessary.

Mods could have options that emulate and enhance the options we currently have. For example, instead of having a power hammer off-hand, allow the drill to have a seismic slam or something that chews up a ton of its power.

Mod ideas:

Reinforced drill: Emulates the power pick. High damage, low range. This would furthermore increase its damage to mobs and players, to make it an effective killing tool. Perhaps adding bleed as a secondary effect.

Tesla drill: Emulates the long-range functionality of the power drill by replacing the head with a tesla coil. Allows you to mine at a distance, and replaces the special attack with an arc flash that drains power. Removes its melee attack capability.

Pneumatic spike: Replaces the power hammer. Allows your special attack to weaken or outright destroy a lot of rocks at once. Emulates the power hammer's slam attack. Use it on someone to knock them very far. The special attack has to charge in between uses, to eliminate the current meta of making several power hammers and slamming people with them to win fights.

Charge Launcher: Replaces the drill head's low power mode with a functionality that allows it to shoot mining charges that explode instantly. Could be powerful with a hacked charge launcher.

I feel like these changes would allow people to actually use other things besides a custom bohrum mining hammer, and give miners a goal - Make their drill Their Own.

Messages In This Thread
Miners have too many tools. Condense them into one modular tool. - by Cal - 05-29-2024, 05:21 AM