Head of Security Application: RubberRats (Tony Favero)
Usual character name: Tony Favero (officer), Sergeio Favero (detective)
BYOND username: RubberRats
Discord username (if you are on our discord): rubberrats
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: 3 and 4

Reason for application: Over the 3ish years I have been here, both the game and the culture surrounding its servers has changed a lot. On the roleplay servers, I’ve seen security adapt well to these changes, and its present state is miles ahead of the security I remember when I first began playing RP. I want to see security continue to change for the better, and believe that as HoS I would be a good influence, both on the department and on the game as a whole.

Security experience (300 word minimum): I started playing security around early 2021, a few months after I first started playing. This was on classic, and it’s where I was taught the basics of forensics and combat. I continued playing security on and off, though it was never something especially memorable to me during this period. Over time I migrated to RP, made a new security character, and continued to play the department for a few rounds occasionally.
                 I first became serious about playing security around the start of 2023, after several rounds of officers being either unwilling to put their foot down or entirely nonexistent. This was as detective and sometimes as officer. As a response to what I saw as spineless security play, I became more active, pushing for harsher punishments on open/violent antagonists and being more willing to escalate to combat when they proved hostile or evasive. Over time (and after a few bad calls) I have tempered this behavior to what I believe to be a good balance, one that gives antagonists some leeway to run gimmicks without letting them use the station as a punching bag.
                 Much of my behavior as security can be described as a response to certain trends which bothered me. When I first started playing on RP, security was dominated by cliques which would mainly keep to their own department and ignore anyone outside their friend group. In response I created Tony, a by-the-books officer who was there to do his job and do it well. When security began letting remorseless killers go with a slap on the wrist, I began playing Sergeio as a detective that was always willing to bring the hammer down if need be. And when I noticed security becoming complacent to or ignoring people committing the same small crimes repeatedly, I began enforcing them, especially for repeat offenses. Doing this usually meant going against the grain, but it led to many good moments.

Answer two or more of the following:

• What advice would you give to other sec players?
Don’t try to fix all the station’s problems by yourself. You’ll be more stressed and will probably burn out on security, if not the game entirely. Instead, delegate tasks if you can, whether within your own department or outside it. Nobody benefits from you rushing in to fix a breach when there’s a perfectly capable engineer bored out of their mind. Similarly, in a full team of competent security officers, you don’t need to be at every alert and arrest every bad guy. If your coworkers know what they’re doing (they usually do), trust them to do their part. You’ll be a lot happier.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
One detective round, I had a test subject asking to be made a “junior detective”. The head of security that round was skeptical, but after I expressed interest and promised to keep an eye on them, he let me give them a chance. I had them follow me around and taught them how to do forensics, use SecMate, and how to use a flash. They behaved wonderfully and I am very glad I decided to give them a chance.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
Having played mostly on lowpop, I am more used to not having a team to back me up. In cases like that I tend to play more actively, hanging around populated areas like medbay and doing occasional inspections of commonly robbed areas like the captain’s office, as on lowpop normally high-profile thefts are unlikely to be noticed/reported. Similarly, sometimes I have printed a paper copy of the manifest so I could keep track of the crew, particularly for suspicious absences. I am also more likely to pick up counters to antagonist abilities (eg. smelling salts for lings) if I suspect I will be confronting a specific one, as I cannot rely on the possibility of backup. I am also more likely to “deputize” another member of the crew if I, as an example, need somebody with tools to deconstruct something for me.
                 With a full team, I am more likely to hang back and step in as needed. Other security officers are usually able to handle a lot of cases on their own. I tend to serve as a coordinator on these rounds, communicating between the crew and security or keeping tabs on cases to ensure they are not dropped. For cases or emergencies that don’t demand the attention of the entire team, I tend to step back from situations which already have multiple security members on the scene. A staff assistant breaking into the mechanics lab doesn’t demand three officers to arrest them and there’s usually multiple cases that need to be handled. I usually end up doing as much work over the radio as I do hands on.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

• What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
Gimmicks as security are tricky, as you generally have more responsibility than other departments. I’ve done the previously mentioned ‘junior detective’ gimmick multiple times, as I think it is a good bit if the other person puts actual effort in and you can keep tabs on them. Even if it does go wrong a competent detective can usually keep things from going too out of hand.
                 As for department-wide gimmicks, one I have wanted to do is assign each officer to guard a department. I think it would be a fun way of encouraging security players to roleplay with the rest of the crew in addition to making security as a whole seem more approachable. Being relatively lightweight means that if things go bad it’s possible to put the gimmick on hold and reassign officers if things start getting bad.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None, other than one I caught from another player who was on my university’s wifi network.

Messages In This Thread
Head of Security Application: RubberRats (Tony Favero) - by RubberRats - 05-21-2024, 04:45 PM