Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 4.09 Average
i think it's time to try player caps.
After reading everything... I am suprised we didn't tackle alterantives.

So 65 pop cap on RP, not bad. So 130 total on both servers.

Okay okay... so if we want more people (even if unlikely) want to join? They are SoL.

So I would suggest the numbers of only active players like Lord_earthfire and the rest can observe/critters.
But now we got 100+ players on a server next round start.... so now we gotta have players who will be denied when the round starts.

Okay what if we get special critters that aren't ghost critters or ghost drones? Or the cap can be bypassed by cyborgs?
Cause the cap will make cyborg spawning impossible if it hit the limit.

But if we do something ike this... we might not get the migration we want to other servers.

Yes I been thinking it through... I will say this right now. This is the HARDEST thing to implement correctly and it will piss off high pop players REGARDLESS

So what do I recommend? A new critter type. Not like the ghost critter. Maybe space spider (who can't drain fluids and eggs do not spawn babies) but it's neutral and it's only goal is "SURVIVE" (Aka you can't attack players unless attacked) Can't talk unless to other critters. Basically everything critter, but with more HP and able to interact with more (cept devices). But your extra goal is to eat food to survive and heal.
I got 3 suggestions for it too on how it spawns and behaves.

1: Off station/Diner.
Welcome to the harsh wilderness, you have to somehow in space. Maybe a passerby will come, maybe you will find a way to a place with more food or maybe you will die horribly.
To me this is the worst suggestion, but also the most least impactful, it would make these "critters" spawn somewhere off station where they cannot disrupt RP and have their own RP.

2: Spawn events just like antag critters.
Essentially put, you roll in to be a "Special critter" and will be put in a "zone" to get to grips with your new form. This is a waiting room till you are allowed to spawn into the game. When it's time.. portal opens and boom, you come onto the station in a bulk with a small alert of: "Influx of creatures appeared on the station."
Since you are a "NEUTRAL" critter, you can't just cause issues.

3: Pets, cause why not?
Wouldn't it be funny if the iconic pets and creatures on the station would become players?
The reason I am saying this is because.. even RP 90% of the time they just sit in the offices doing not much. But I see so many times people turning into cats, birds, dogs and more.
Why not just make the pets the "Neutral" charaters that have to survive? Though I think Heisenbee will be rushed to be taken over by a player....

Of course the 4th suggestion is "Just spawn em in on the station in random rooms" but these are suggestions I think would help too.

The idea of this is to have 65-70 "active" crewmembers doing their jobs in RP. And not to make anyone outside those numbers just... spawn in as critters and ghostdrones or just observing or rushing to take a dead player's spot.
Oh right how do we fix the dead player debacle?

The thing about caps is how do we make it respectfully. I am fine with a Player Cap, but my problem is how do we execute it so players don't start fighting over slots.
There are so much UNDERLYING issues to fix 1st before we even TEST MERGE IT!

Like... people who log off or afk? How do we treat those? See a player who has SSD? Will a slot open up until someone pushes them into cryo and they lose their spot?
this will just cause locker afking.

This is my biggest conern... wich is why I added the "Neutral Critter" system idea to not make more systems to accomendate for AFKing/cryoing/dead players spots being open but "the cap is still in effect." Or "everyone is rushing to spawn into the round as the dead player's slot before they get cloned."
This problem will remain regardless... but my suggestion is atleast a bandaid idea for now.

This what i think the discussion has lacked so far.
So admins/devs while can we also have some clarification on how we will implement "Dead player spots/afking/cryoing?"

Messages In This Thread
RE: i think it's time to try player caps. - by Kotlol - 05-14-2024, 01:54 AM