Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 4.09 Average
i think it's time to try player caps.
I think this is a good idea honestly. The points you raise about RP breaking down are definitely real.

My only concern is how this might translate into people fighting for a spot to play on goon3. Meta shenanigans and locker naps in order to hold a place so they can play later or something.

Would it be possible to put the limit on the amount of living players in round (e.g. 55 or 50), rather than on the number of people in the server? That way people could still spectate if the 3's full. Not sure how feasible that would be to implement but I think that could solve some of the issues of observers 'taking up slots'. I know you talked about raising the limit and possibly kicking idling title screen players after a set time, which also works. Then again, those players would still appear connected on goonhub... pros and cons to both implementations.

I'm kind of curious about the logistics of a player cap as well, the actual mechanisms of it. What happens when someone tries to join anyway? Do they get shunted off into goon4 or does a pop up appear? I've really only played here so I've never encountered a player cap before.

What about if both 3 and 4 fill up at peak hours? What happens then?

These have probably been considered but I thought i'd bring them up. I think that this would overall be a good thing for RP even if some people complain. Much more controversial things have gone through, after all. As long as a PR introducing this is well thought out and covers all the points brought up in this thread, I don't see why it shouldn't be implemented.

P.S.
Quote:I am personally against it because I worry it will just cause a deduction in population.
Isn't this... the whole point? To make it less chaotic? That's the whole idea.

Messages In This Thread
RE: i think it's time to try player caps. - by Tyrant - 05-13-2024, 10:33 PM