Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 4.09 Average
i think it's time to try player caps.
(05-13-2024, 03:09 PM)LeahTheTech Wrote: I'm open to the idea of population caps but I think:
- 65 is too low
- It should only count players in game otherwise people are going to idle on the title screen to "save their spot" and we're going to have 50% idlers/observers taking up the cap

65 is a number I came up with based on a rough figure that 35-45 people is ideal, and some of those will be people who died/observed.

Earlier, we had a round with about 80-90 (and at points, 100) players connected. The round generally had 70-ish people alive, with 5-10 people dead or spectating. Obviously that's a sample size = 1 moment, but it's the kind of experience I've seen before and about where I'd set it. Maybe 70.

As for people who idle and observers, we already do, and that's why the sludge factor is there, to give space for people who aren't necessarily playing but are still contributing or active in some way.

As for people idling on the title screen, I am 100% fine with giving them a "you have 60 seconds to either join the round or get booted and lose your spot" thing.

Right now (11 PM pacific) on 3, there are 39 players online, and a whole 13 of them are on the title screen -- a solid 1/3rd. Hell, I've left it on overnight by accident. We can always try a higher cap of 70 and see how it works, too.

Quote:- Classic should either remain uncapped or have a much higher cap as it works a lot better at high (even 100+) populations

The only time I'd be okay with limiting classic is if it's regularly hitting 150+ or something, and even then I'd be fine with saying "if you have over 150 players the tick lag is locked to at least 0.6 or slower"

Messages In This Thread
RE: i think it's time to try player caps. - by Zamujasa - 05-13-2024, 10:04 PM