Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 4.09 Average
i think it's time to try player caps.
I lied, one more post, but more about how pop cap can be used to give those who are not filtered better opportunity. It is probably an idea that would need some thought and refinement, but I think at the bottom line it would allow a cap to function with more minimal interruption of player experience.

Here's how the cycle of a cap might play out if it was put in. This assumes a lot of things like Leah's point avoiding lobby counting towards round occupants (and I assume observers, ghost drones, critters etc are also not part of the count, as the issue isn't so much server load as RP capability, and those entities GENERALLY aren't part of that equation) This also doesn't focus on late-joiners, where I assume a cap is a simple case of "All slots filled"

>Round start, the lobby readies X amount of population
>I assume either a cap either prevents you readying, or "lotteries" those ready for round join.
>On Round begin, those who could not ready or did not win the lottery get some kind of message. At high population, as Zamu mentioned earlier: this could be anything from a few people to say, 20/30+ people.
>They -could- now go join an ongoing server game as latejoins. This is great as they know lots of others are going to do that, but precludes them from antag or "random job draw" options. Personally, this doesn't bother me, I'm a happy late-joiner, but I also think that what could hypothetically happen is more observers rather than players. That's a hypothetical, and I wouldn't want an idea to be shut down on guesswork, I'm only bring it up here to underline what might help my suggestion below.

Alternatively

>Round start, all is the same as above
>Simultaneously, and this is the thing that's going to make this not work immediately if it's not feasible or for many reasons people go "we can't do that" (I don't know, I just play here, but no harm in sharing an idea) a server is "readied" for the those who do not make it in to the first all.
>Those who do not make it into the first draw for the server are either direct transferred, or if not possible, offered a clickable token to join THAT starting server.
>Ultimately, those looking to start a new round now will always get that opportunity, it may just be in server 1 which is full, or server 2, which is less full, but either way their intent and experience of getting a fresh go is achieved.

I have -no- idea how remotely possible this is. I have also not considered many possible nuances that would make this a bad idea, but I want to at least offer something that I've had a little personal experience in elsewhere: Handling overflow to a populated player that still replicates as best possible the experience they were looking to have. Feel free to ignore if this is all very laughable. It worked for us in a MUD environment running on a servers jokingly ascribed to be "TI-89s daisy chained together" and it simply may make no sense here.

Messages In This Thread
RE: i think it's time to try player caps. - by Lefinch - 05-13-2024, 05:01 PM