Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 4.09 Average
i think it's time to try player caps.
i appreciate the constructive discussion so far.

(05-13-2024, 01:24 PM)Carton Wrote: HOWEVER. Considering Nightshade was just announced and big events like that have a tendency to do wacky shit to pop levels, I think any real change should definitely wait a while to see where exactly we are on pop in the months post-nightshade.

Oh and also, I'm not sure players who aren't actively playing on the server should count towards a player cap. It seems kind of odd to set a player cap if you don't want that to be the amount of people active on said server

to the first point, nightshade typically drives a bunch of players during the streams, not after. at this point i think it would be fair to say that the admin team is expecting a tide of players in the next few weeks, not months. if anything, it might be a better time to try it -- so that the population can be better balanced earlier, instead of possibly ending up with a 100+ pop RP server.

re: "those who aren't actively playing on the server counting": the problem is that it is easy to transition back and forth. someone who is on the title screen may latejoin soon, becoming active; an active player may die, becoming inactive; a dead player or observer may respawn in 10 minutes after dying, going to the title screen, and then rejoining to become active again.

the 10-20 space is there to account for this kind of "sludge". (we would also need to add something that, say, boots you after 5 minutes idle on the title screen, though, if that does not already exist. and it might.)

(05-13-2024, 01:30 PM)TDHooligan Wrote: i think its primarily a map/ mechanical issue. larger maps have handled different popcounts pretty well, i just think the numbers need tweaking.

140 player decarabia was sane, 100 player crash rounds can feel pretty healthy but... 70 player cog1 breaks down, 40 player atlas breaks down...

it's partially a map issue, but (as discussed in discord), it's not just that, either. radio channels get busier and busier with players, and you can't easily separate those. same with other departmental functions; you might be able to dedicate the physical space for a second department, but the game isn't designed around "sec A" and "sec B" or "med A" and "med B".

i would not really consider "crash" rounds to be proper/typical RP rounds.

Quote:a lot of #4 players cant handle anything over #4 pop too, so trouble there too if we force the server to be larger

skill issue.

Quote:the numbers we're using, afaik, were pulled out of the dev's collective rears. perhaps some more tuning there first is necessary to see how splitting players plays out? maybe opening up ideas for a new map? later mapvotes (shuttlecall instead of start)?

they are pulled out of my ass, but pretty much any number would be. population fluctuates a lot.

server 3 right now has 86 players online.

* all 6 heads
* 5 sec + 1 detective
* 2 genetics, 3 robo, 3 cyborgs, 4 sci, 5 docs
* 3 qm, 2 miner, 4 engi
* chef, bartender, 4 botanists, rancher, 3 janitors, 5 staff assistants, clown, dungeoneer

that's a total of 55 living people on the manifest, +/- those who aren't on the manifest (this is based off of the latejoin menu)

a population cap of 65 would put lop off about 20 players, which would likely drop that to about 35-45 -- the ideal zone i mentioned.

they're an ass pull, but they're educated ass pulls.

Messages In This Thread
RE: i think it's time to try player caps. - by Zamujasa - 05-13-2024, 02:18 PM