Jack Hunter HOS application (3rd times the charm)
(04-20-2024, 01:38 PM)smallsandman Wrote: now that's not to say I'm perfect nobody can be 

(Sorry if this seems rushed to anyone reading, I was trying to write this on my phone but my browser kept crashing after paragraphs worth of progress.)

I have recently learned of two other issues with my gameplay that would come back to bite me if not dealt with now, the first and biggest issue being a bit of a newer thing to me overconfidence, while I have dealt with overconfidence before it was never when trying to make real decisions and rather just me thinking I could do something others didn't think I could do. however it has come to my attention I can attain a state of overconfidence during my sec gameplay after a good few rounds of feeling as though I did really well and was a large benefit to the team. This leads me to stop questioning my decision making process as well as my decisions in general, which will eventually lead me to make one or more mistakes whether it be an incorrect call or treating someone really poorly, where as before I've tried boosting my self confidence I hardly ever made decisions as I didn't trust myself to make the correct ones. which led to very long wait times for those I was dealing with. Ideally I want to find a balance between questioning my decisions and making them as well as always getting a good look at problems before I make anything concrete though in the heat of the game this can sometimes be difficult I have to try. This is likely going to take a while for me to truly catch and stop as overconfidence is something hard to spot because it hides itself in the moment and makes you feel like you can't be wrong, This is not something we want in such a powerful leadership position as the one I'm applying for so I will be as careful as i can be in getting better at this issue.

The other issue is about telling people on my team who I perceive to be doing something incorrectly, and correcting them in a respectful and understanding manner. the reason I am looking at overconfidence first is I believe it feeds into me using gut responses to folk I think aren't handling something right rather then looking at their issue, calmly getting their side of things and suggesting an alternative to whatever they were doing or planned to do. Rather then mocking them for not knowing something I perceive as obvious. in any case it is never my intention to seem mean or rude out f character and if I did I wasn't in the right thinking space, and I want to avoid this happening as it can make someone feel real bad if I didn't know everything and just assumed they were automatically in the wrong or treat them like a moron for not knowing something I likely had to be taught too and just don't remember being taught it. Now it can be difficult to get practice for this as it only shows up rarely and when it does there is often a real head of security there. however if a situation like this pops up ill try to be extra careful with how I address things and make sure to get their whole side. 

As always I'm trying to get better at this constantly and if anyone has a issue with something I do feel free to bring it up to me and I'll listen to what needs to be said and alter my style if needed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jack Hunter HOS application (3rd times the charm) - by smallsandman - 04-29-2024, 05:30 AM